What music are you listening to currently?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: What music are you listening to currently?

Post by cybot »

Yeah I do think Mick’s was in the right place. I honestly feel he kind of knew time was running out. I’m not sure if Peter was even present on the night. God rest his soul. Without a doubt the best complete guitarist I’ve ever heard. Not dissing any of the others. They all had/have something worthwhile to offer. Peter was in a completely different realm though. Took me a lifetime to realise that…..
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:56 pm Taj Mahal & Ry Cooder: Get on Board

A timely reminder methinks to have a listen.Never really got into his other stuff.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Pink Floyd: The Division Bell

My absolue favourite Pink Floyd album!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:23 pm

A timely reminder methinks to have a listen.Never really got into his other stuff.
Anything involving Ry Cooder is worth a listen methinks.
Let us know how you get on.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:22 am
cybot wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:23 pm

Anything involving Ry Cooder is worth a listen methinks.
Let us know how you get on.
I agree totally! It’s the Bueno stuff I’m not too enamoured with. Then again I never REALLY listened to it. Give me the early albums anytime though.
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:19 am Pink Floyd: The Division Bell

My absolue favourite Pink Floyd album!
Wonderful package too. Again I’m more partial to the Syd Barrett era and the subsequent albums up to Meddle. Have you ever heard ‘More’, ‘Obscured by Clouds’? I’m sure you have though. ‘More’ in particular is a gem especially Rick's contribution.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Mojo:

THE AGE-OLD tradition of Neil Young never releasing quite what you want continues apace in 2024; at time of writing, a confirmed date for his Archives Volume III box set remains unknown. Instead, be grateful for this vinyl edition of a 16-track chunk of 2020’s Archives Volume II. Dume is ostensibly a radical expansion of 1975’s Zuma, Point Dume being the headland next to Zuma Beach near producer David Briggs’ house in Malibu, where much of the album was recorded. Dume ditches the incongruous CSNY collab Through My Sails from the original Zuma tracklisting and replaces it with eight blazing cuts from the sessions. All the songs have now surfaced elsewhere, but often in very different and arguably inferior versions: Ride My Llama and Pocahontas are spectacular electric stomps compared with the acoustic takes on Rust Never Sleeps. Reconfigured, Dume becomes less about Young’s break-up with Carrie Snodgress and leans harder into his phantasmagorial visions of Aztecs and Incas, prompting a heretical thought: it might actually be better than Zuma.
cybot

Post by cybot »

One of my absolute favourites working in the experimental thinking-outside-the-box field.

BOOMKAT Album of the week:

Unashamedly romantic, Spectral Evolution pulls its momentous chordal shifts from jazz, using standards like George Gershwin's 'I Got Rhythm' and Duke Ellington's 'Take the "A" Train' (plus what sounds to us quite a lot like Bach) to dictate the course of his vacillating compositions. If that's hard to imagine, it only gets more knotty from there, as Toral interrupts the calm of his tidal drones with chirping oscillator squeaks and squeals that he's painstakingly tuned to harmonise with the strings. Bruising the sublime, Toral reminds us that music is an endless conversation with the past, both our own personal history, and a shared cultural memory that's not always easy to decipher.

After a brief, naked intro, Toral sinks into 'Changes', an outstretched composition that sounds like multiple threads being tied together in real-time. At the root is a sequence of dramatic chord shifts made from bowed guitar drones that have been shaped to sound like orchestral flourishes. We can't help but think of Gavin Bryars' enduringly influential 'Sinking of the Titanic' here, but the chorus of whoops and wails from Toral's arsenal shuttle it into an idiosyncratic outerzone, sounding electronic and acoustic at once, like bamboo flutes, amphibian mating calls and robotic birds responding to each chord. Each track dissolves into the next, and while Toral makes distinctive gestures, the album plays like a continuous thought.

He interprets 'Take the "A" Train' more literally on 'Take the Train', letting the guitar chords linger and using the Space ensemble to re-imagine the trad standard's unmistakable lead. Peculiarly tuned, it's not obvious at first, but squint a little and you can just about make out Toral coaxing us into re-evaluating how we listen to jazz. If innovators like Ornette Coleman and Albert Ayler were able to develop a new language using familiar syntax, then Toral follows a traditional vernacular, nodding to folk forms as well as avant developments and environmental musics in a mode that’s both soothing and unexpected.

On ‘First Long Space' Toral takes a moment to deconstruct his soundscape, the guitar drawing discernible, post-rock outlines, leaving us with near silence for a few seconds before another episode begins. These spaces (two long and two short) are important markers that break up each episode, palate cleansers that prepare us for further chordal complexity. While 'Fifths Twice' is gooey and sentimental, 'Your Goodbye', is led by distorted, filtered guitar syllables, sounding like Toral's attempt at half-speed blues, played alongside sticky orchestral sweeps. Before the set's over completely, he can't resist taking us to church, mutating his noises into celestial organ blasts on 'Second Short Space'.

‘Spectral Evolution' is the kind of album that practically urges you to go in again and again to tunnel through its layers and excavate its myriad references and philosophies. It's Toral's most exceptional, essential album to date - the kind of masterpiece worthy of re-booting Moikai to life, the same label that brought us all-timers like Nuno Canavarro's 'Plux Quba', Pita's 'Get Out' and Fennesz's 'Plays'.

An early marker for AOTY, no doubt.
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:57 pm Yeah I do think Mick’s was in the right place. I honestly feel he kind of knew time was running out. I’m not sure if Peter was even present on the night. God rest his soul. Without a doubt the best complete guitarist I’ve ever heard. Not dissing any of the others. They all had/have something worthwhile to offer. Peter was in a completely different realm though. Took me a lifetime to realise that…..
Can't argue with any of that. He was simply stunning
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:37 pm Image

Mojo:

THE AGE-OLD tradition of Neil Young never releasing quite what you want continues apace in 2024; at time of writing, a confirmed date for his Archives Volume III box set remains unknown. Instead, be grateful for this vinyl edition of a 16-track chunk of 2020’s Archives Volume II. Dume is ostensibly a radical expansion of 1975’s Zuma, Point Dume being the headland next to Zuma Beach near producer David Briggs’ house in Malibu, where much of the album was recorded. Dume ditches the incongruous CSNY collab Through My Sails from the original Zuma tracklisting and replaces it with eight blazing cuts from the sessions. All the songs have now surfaced elsewhere, but often in very different and arguably inferior versions: Ride My Llama and Pocahontas are spectacular electric stomps compared with the acoustic takes on Rust Never Sleeps. Reconfigured, Dume becomes less about Young’s break-up with Carrie Snodgress and leans harder into his phantasmagorial visions of Aztecs and Incas, prompting a heretical thought: it might actually be better than Zuma.
Picked it up myself last night. I love Zuma and really love Neil. A contrarian no doubt but I love that about him