What music are you listening to currently?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
fergus

Re: What music are you listening to currently?

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:34 pm
fergus wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:13 pm Chris Rea: The Blue Jukebox

This is wonderful, easy and effortless music and music making in a very laid back atmosphere.
I think that was the album that Ivor acquired somewhere and cheerfully donated to me "guaranteed unplayed". Sure it would be dreadful if we all liked the same stuff.
Did you like it?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yep, listened to it a fair bit back in the day.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:34 pm
fergus wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:13 pm Chris Rea: The Blue Jukebox

This is wonderful, easy and effortless music and music making in a very laid back atmosphere.
I think that was the album that Ivor acquired somewhere and cheerfully donated to me "guaranteed unplayed". Sure it would be dreadful if we all liked the same stuff.
Not from me Si, I'm not a huge Rea fan but I'd certainly give it a damn good listen.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
fergus

Post by fergus »

Peter Green- Soho; Live At Ronnie Scott's, Disc 1

cybot

Post by cybot »

God it’s so long since I listened to this. When I did listen it was just a cursory one. I won’t go into detail as to why; suffice to say that I didn’t want to be disillusioned with Peter’s performance. Almost 30 years of hell hounds following him around as he tried to get back to some semblance of his former self. However, now that his suffering is over, I doubt if even that will stop me from embracing the good stuff as well as the so-so…..I miss him.
cybot

Post by cybot »

This was an astounding find on vinyl. Even in ‘67 he had everything. Too many highlights to mention favourites. This is the real raw deal. Not for Audiophiles I’m afraid.

JAW

Post by JAW »

That John Mayall one looks great. Coincidentally, I was recommended this and gave it a listen on Tidal, and wish I hadn't bothered. Any of the originals I knew were just so much better than these rehashes. In my opinion they lack the hunger, chemistry and imagination that the original recordings have in spades.

cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:41 pm That John Mayall one looks great. Coincidentally, I was recommended this and gave it a listen on Tidal, and wish I hadn't bothered. Any of the originals I knew were just so much better than these rehashes. In my opinion they lack the hunger, chemistry and imagination that the original recordings have in spades.

Absolutely spot on Johnny! As soon as I heard of its imminent release back then I immediately switched off. Peter wasn’t well at the time too. Long story short : my initial views were vindicated when I first heard the concert on Sky Arts. Everything you’ve pointed out I agree with wholeheartedly! Awful. Rehashes indeed. What was Mick thinking????????????
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:26 pm
JAW wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:41 pm That John Mayall one looks great. Coincidentally, I was recommended this and gave it a listen on Tidal, and wish I hadn't bothered. Any of the originals I knew were just so much better than these rehashes. In my opinion they lack the hunger, chemistry and imagination that the original recordings have in spades.

Absolutely spot on Johnny! As soon as I heard of its imminent release back then I immediately switched off. Peter wasn’t well at the time too. Long story short : my initial views were vindicated when I first heard the concert on Sky Arts. Everything you’ve pointed out I agree with wholeheartedly! Awful. Rehashes indeed. What was Mick thinking????????????
Unfortunately, I also saw some of this on SKy Arts a while back....awful in the extreme.Mick's heart may have been in the right place but it wasn't a fitting tribute to a fantastic musician with an extremely sad life story
fergus

Post by fergus »

Taj Mahal & Ry Cooder: Get on Board