Static shocks

stigpepper

Static shocks

Post by stigpepper »

Hi,

I keeping getting static shocks from my equipment especially the volume control on the amp. It is a wake up call each time it happens but is it something I should be worried about.

Cheers
Derek

Re: Static shocks

Post by Derek »

A static charge is normally transferred from you to the device and can be large enough cause damage.
Several years ago anything metal I touched gave me a static shock, door handles, the car, Hi-Fi system...
I traced it back to a specific pair of shoes, they got binned, I haven't had a problem since.
It might just be a case of changing your footwear, or similar, did you get a new carpet?

But if it’s not, then I would be sure to check the system has a sufficient earth.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

If you have a multimeter you should check for continuity between the knob and the earth pin of the plug, and between the case and earth pin. If there is, then your amp is earthed properly and the problem is probably you being earthed through the amp - like in dereks case.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Derek wrote:A static charge is normally transferred from you to the device and can be large enough cause damage.
Several years ago anything metal I touched gave me a static shock, door handles, the car, Hi-Fi system...
I traced it back to a specific pair of shoes, they got binned, I haven't had a problem since.
It might just be a case of changing your footwear, or similar, did you get a new carpet?

But if it’s not, then I would be sure to check the system has a sufficient earth.

I have that with a particular pair of Hush Puppies. I don't use the hifi if I'm wearing them!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
stigpepper

Post by stigpepper »

Unfortunately I do not have a multimeter to test the amp but I will keep an eye on my footwear. It could be the Liverpool slippers I got for my birthday.

Thanks again for the advice lads.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Liverpool slippers?????
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
stigpepper

Post by stigpepper »

Don't knock them rocker, they may blow up my hifi but at least I'll never walk alone while I'm wearing them.