Open Baffle Speaker build

nige2000

Re: Open Baffle Speaker build

Post by nige2000 »

sdiesel77 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:17 pm WoW Really cool! I was looking at this Pure Audio model !
What drivers did you use?
Same drivers crossover and tweeter as pap mundorf amt trio 10

Pap1075
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

experimentation continues with tweeter baffles
was rather impressed with the finish

initial testing proves improvements in areas of detail, coherence, focus and tautness
however a little loss of that nice open airy sound it has/had
just need to try some minor adjustments
so far so good though
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Certainty looks the part - and with tweaking you might be able to bring back the openness a wee bit

Well done!
Do or do not, there is no try
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

Nice, I like the way that waveguides are coming out.

Maybe if you try to make them a little bit more round, around the edges, not that sharper/narrow?
Last edited by Georgi on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Georgi wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:25 am Nice, I like the way that wavegates are coming out.

Maybe if you try to make them a little bit more round, around the edges, not that sharper?
Guess it wouldn't do any harm at the least

Only way it could be done is to use castle head screws and countersink the mounting holes as the screws would be in the way otherwise

Then use a mop disc on the mini grinder to smooth out the outside edge

Think I could do it without making a mess of it
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

There are still plenty of options before you get the grinder out.(Apologies to Georgi)
I'd start with running a centre check file to ensure speakers are wired up correctly , then try speaker placement/toe-in/toe-out/tilt.
I think it's worth reversing both tweeter connections to change phase also contrast with just one reversed.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

Of course there is plenty of options, I just don't know, what have been done and what not, I presume only at the moment.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I still think if you look at that mounting almost as a waveguide, its a much narrower than the way it was originally, with the MDF. That alone might account for the differences. I'd try Kens suggestions and also try lining the rebate with thin foam.
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

the gb lads had a quick listen this morning and they reckon i'm nitpicking looking for more soundstage
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

They did sound amazing...had some goosebumps hearing the track Melancholia by Van Morrison today.
Next speakers could very well be Pure Audio Trio's after hearing these.....