Blues - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Blues - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

Doxy triple vinyl set with lyrics etc. The only real deal going down at the moment.....

cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:41 am
Cyndale wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:34 am I just read about this documentary, looks amazing, three episodes...

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/american-epic/
That's the one. Last episode on this Sunday night.

Brilliant! Recorder at the ready :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

cybot wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:28 pm Doxy triple vinyl set with lyrics etc. The only real deal going down at the moment.....

The spooky thing is his voice sounds so close I can almost smell his breath. Also for the first time I'm more aware of his guitar playing than before. Puts modern recordings to shame.

Takes me back to the time when Des from Freebird gave me a loan of the shadow Johnson Lp (King of the Delta Blues Singers Vol. 1) after I pestered him with questions on the Blues. Of course at the time I was way out of my depth and thus Johnson did nothing for me. But I still went out and bought the original Lps in preparation for when my time came to finally understand. God bless you Des wherever you are.....A humble thank you.

Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

I got this double LP (Pure Pleasure) recently and it is a classic!

http://www.blackpearls-shop.de/WebRoot/ ... 9217_1.jpg
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:09 pm I got this double LP (Pure Pleasure) recently and it is a classic!

http://www.blackpearls-shop.de/WebRoot/ ... 9217_1.jpg

I have that one!!!!! Another reminder to dig him up too ;) BTW that's one iconic photo!

Right that's it it's going to be an all acoustic weekend. Watch this space.....
cybot

Post by cybot »

The first time I heard Son House was here on this fantastic Lp. It's really well recorded too.
The two Son House tracks were recorded at Sound Techniques by Roger Mayer. They explode out of the speakers (New Pony Blues and Yonder Comes the Blues) like an unfettered colt. It's really something to behold after the gentle renditions of Jo Ann Kelly, Mike Cooper and Sam Mitchell and,of course, Stefan himself on backing guitar....

cybot

Post by cybot »

Another Edsel favourite compilation of US Urban Blues.....

Produced by Paul A. Rothchild & Jac Holzman.

cybot

Post by cybot »

Nick Drake in the Blues section!!!! The aficionados out there will understand.

Anyway this is the best vinyl example of his home recordings/studio outtakes taken from a DAT master suppposedly belonging to Joe Boyd which was in turn were copied from the original analogue tapes. Take it with a pinch of salt but you cannot argue with the results especially the home recordings which mostly sound amazing.

https://www.discogs.com/Nick-Drake-A-Da ... se/5633536

Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

I bought the Taj Mahal/Keb Mo Tajmo LP expecting to get some nice 'country' style blues but instead it was more poppy soul than blues. Very smooth and lacking any 'grit' or vibrancy. Really disappointed! Anybody else have this?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Yep, just a download. You're not alone in your opinion. It's not bad but it's far too polished. Less than the sum of its parts.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable