Wanted Bargain Tuner

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
Rayfi

Wanted Bargain Tuner

Post by Rayfi »

Hi Folks,
Im interested in a bargain tuner for my mancave in the attic. I have been looking on donedeals, adverts etc for a nice vintage unit but its hard to know what to look for. I know its all internet radio these days and I love tunein and have it running on kodi downstairs though main rig but for the attic a cheap vintage tuner would be rocking. Could anyone recommend something I should be looking out for and being a cheapskate I only want to spend a max of 50-70 Euros.

Do those old tuners just run and run or are they have a high fail rate given their age etc. I appreciate any tips on tuners you may have.
thanks
Ray
Steve

Re: Wanted Bargain Tuner

Post by Steve »

Hi Ray,

I'm not 100% sure if this fits the bill for the type of vintage tuner that you're looking for.
But I do have a Sony ST-261 if you're interested? I believe it's vintage would be mid-90's!
(Seems to qualify for the radiomuseum.org if that's anything to go by!)
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_fm_st ... _s261.html

Cheers,
Steve
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ha, I was just about to suggest that one as an option to look out for. I have a Denon from a similar vintage (the TU-260) that still provides admirable service and sounds good at home, but soon after I bought it Sony released the above mentioned tuner at roughly the same price. This one not only had RDS, but it sounded as good as if not better than the Denon. I was raging!!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
bonenut

Post by bonenut »

hi,i have a yamaha natual sound tuner from the late 70's early eightys.great tuner which i used in my own man cave for years.i had it paired with the matching yamaha natural sound amp from the same era.if your interested in the tuner i could send pics.cheers.
Rayfi

Post by Rayfi »

Thanks for the response lads. I suppose if you could stick up some pics of the Yamaha tuner as Im not familiar and that Sony unit looks great Steve. Im only after a cheap unit as im mainly a cd man and just would like a tuner as an extra option. Today I managed to stream from my google nexus tablet running tunein to a Uplay bluetooth streamer ive connected to my amp and it worked ok. Its a great cheap option if you have good wifi but the attic is unfortunately a wifi blackspot and it kept dropping.
Thanks again
Ray
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

The other thing is that bit rates on internet radio are often really poor, you'd be better with analogue fm in lots of cases.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
bonenut

Post by bonenut »

not able to post pics but its a yamaha t 550.black.send me your email by pm and i could send you a pic when i get home tomorrow.cheers.