Does anyone own Sonus Faber Elipsas?

DaveF

Re: Does anyone own Sonus Faber Elipsas?

Post by DaveF »

Brilliant writeup Simon. I came in early to get some work done but when I saw your post that put an end to that. I really didnt think things would have worked out so well for you as they have so far. I had a fear of the speakers overpowering the room but that doesnt seem to be the case at all. Looks like you've got your hands on a special speaker indeed.
About the warm up time, I think you might have it the wrong way around: I think that the speakers are taking a little while to open up from a 'cold start', not the amps. My Ushers were exactly like this. Something to do with the voicecoil I believe.
Looking forward to taking those Kharmas off you. I have a feeling that the Jadis will be a perfect match for them. Certainly when I heard them with Tony's DA50 a few months ago I thought they were superb. Sounded nothing like the infamous pair I had a few years ago.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Terry

Post by Terry »

Super write up Simon. Offer to lug the Accuphase over still stands (250w @ 2ohms).

Terry
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thank you gentlemen.

DaveF, you could be right about the speakers warming up rather than the amps, as I hadn't really considered that. I'll be very interested to see how you find the Kharma/Jadis combo in your place. I think it will deliver, tbh!

Terry, I will take you up on that offer in due course. Thank you.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Derek wrote: As an after-thought, do you know what Amp the guy you got them from use?
He's only ever had solid-state apparently, Vitus for a while and more recently Spectral I think. He was actually interested in my findings with valves as he'd never really tried that himself. As always, there are opposing views online!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote:...you could be right about the speakers warming up rather than the amps
I'm pretty certain this is what is happening here. I mean the amps wouldn't warm up any differently just because a different speaker is attached. If anything, the lower impedance dips of the SF's would be drawing more current out of the amps making them work harder. The Kharmas with their relatively light cone would come on song quicker I'd say.

Any more up close pics? Speakers like that deserve to be shown off!
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

More pics eh? Ok then!

sebna

Post by sebna »

Now that is what I call an update :). Very nice pictures as well. Looks like you are very happy with them.
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
Maz65

Post by Maz65 »

Hi Simon,
I see the photos you posted and i had the impression of a deja-vu... something familiar, really don't know ;)

But I have a little -very little- suggestion: don't move from your Graaf so fast, wait at minimum six months of deep listening of these beauties :)

-Max
Dgt: MSB Analog,MacMini,Audirvana+,HQPlayer Analog: Technics SL1210mk2, Dyna XX2 Mk2, Lehmann Decade Amp: Spectral DMC 15SS + Spectral DMA 200S2 Spkr: Wilson Sophia 3 Cbl: Spectral UL-38 HD/MIT SL-Matrix 26
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Aha, it's my newest Italian friend!!

Good to see you here, Max. I don't think I'll be buying new amps any time soon, but I want to try lots of things!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Welcome indeed Max!

As with Simon, I'd also be a fan of Sonus Faber and valves.

But I believe you now want to go in quite a different direction.. Would be great to hear in a different thread about the different options you've tried and perhaps what you might settle on?
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM