Does anyone own Sonus Faber Elipsas?

Diapason

Does anyone own Sonus Faber Elipsas?

Post by Diapason »

Long shot, but I'd love to hear a pair of these and I'd prefer not to have to get on a flight to do it. Anyone own them? In fact, has anyone even heard them?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
tony

Re: Does anyone own Sonus Faber Elipsas?

Post by tony »

Diapason wrote:Long shot, but I'd love to hear a pair of these and I'd prefer not to have to get on a flight to do it. Anyone own them? In fact, has anyone even heard them?
Just buy the 989's and get them back to the southside Simon!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

tony wrote:
Diapason wrote:Long shot, but I'd love to hear a pair of these and I'd prefer not to have to get on a flight to do it. Anyone own them? In fact, has anyone even heard them?

all his troubles would be over.....
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Looking at serious money for those are we not?? 10k or there abouts?

Still though better spent on speakers than a car I would say!!

In the absence of somebody coming forward to allow you an audition....I would suggest having a listen to lower models, Cremona, Armatti etc.

You may then be able to obtain an impression of the sense of scale developing between models in the range.

If you were seriously interested in the Elipsa's then spending a few hundred quid on a flight, bed and breakfast, audition / inspection and return flight would be a must.

Given the fact that these have a 10" woofer, they are big expensive speakers, nobody is going to allow you a home audition.

The risks of handling bulky expensive gear is just too high.

In this case....Mohammed must go to the mountain!
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

tony wrote:
Life would be so much easier if I liked Quads. But...no!

Adrian, let's just say that I've been a few airline websites today. I've never heard of anyone owning a pair around here, but I thought I'd better ask first. God knows I'd even drive outside the Pale to hear them, so you can tell I'm serious!!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
tony

Post by tony »

What are they? Floorstanders or standmounts they don't seem to be as high end as Steve's would that be right?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Floorstanders, not as high end as Futuras and a completely different style:

http://www.sonusfaber.com/en-us/products/elipsa-red
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Best of luck with trying them. I heard the SE version at a show and while I don't remember much detail I can remember enjoying them.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

You're further along than any of us so, HFF!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Just to take a bit of a slant on this, has anybody heard the SF Strads in comparison to later SF models? I ask since both the Strads and the Elipsa's were Franco Serbelin's last SF designs and so would be interested to hear how their signature sound differs from the current models designed by Livio Cucuzza.

I know not quite answering the question Si but as both the Strads and Elipsa's are a similar design but very different in physical appearance to say the Futura or Olympica's, would be good to hear from anyone who's heard any of the wide baffle models...

HifiFan, any chance you also heard some other SF designs at the show?
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM