Cloney Audio RED K SPEAKER DAY – JUNE 7TH Anyone going?

Kevin

Re: Cloney Audio RED K SPEAKER DAY – JUNE 7TH Anyone goi

Post by Kevin »

I am interested to see that front firing port and clearly there was some discussion on the day about reflex ports. Unfortunately I was not there. Was the impression of listeners that these speakers performed well close to the rear wall? I am struggling to find the best possible smallish standmounts that can be placed within 20cm of a rear wall without major problems (they have to sit on a shelf). Currently I have Harbeth P3ESR which do fairly well but for longer listening sessions I pull them forwards to the edge of the shelf (as much as possible) and this really helps. Obviously I am not really hearing the full merits of my Harbeths under my conditions. Any views of these Red Ks close to the walls?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I've always been of the view that where there was no rear port distance from wall was not really a factor. Allowing for some energy even from a sealed box design it shouldn't be a huge issue. Of course I may be absolutely wrong on that!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Alltheyoungdudes

Post by Alltheyoungdudes »

My front-ported stand-mounts are 19.5 cm (on the inside corners) from the rear wall without any problems. I had them out a bit further for a long time but moved them back recently and they now sound much better in every respect. One problem I had when they were further out from the wall, was the fact that they needed more "toe-in" towards the listening position. Since they've moved back a bit, I've been able to lessen the angle which makes for better aesthetics as well as improved sound...
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I often think that while the distance of port to wall is important, the shape of the rest of the room has far more influence.... particularly on boom.
Do or do not, there is no try