Upgraditis part 1: Subwoofers

Ivor

Re: Upgraditis part 1: Subwoofers

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote:
Ivor wrote:I seem to have missed all this Kharma bashing! I would regard them as pretty much "destination speakers"!
Dave's issues were quite specific to a particular pair and indeed (and I'm sure he'll agree!) Dave.
In fairness, some of it came from discussions off the forum, but said discussions were with the person who bought Dave's pair, so..................

Ah. It can a horribly frustrating hobby at the best of times but when you think you're buying a foolproof component (is there one?) and it bites you... well...
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Ah well... perhaps Hi Fi is just like the automobile industry....

Even if your car is the best in the world, given trouble free service, rock solid, a joy to drive etc .... you still have an itch to change it after 7 or 8 years!!

I know when I had my last car for 5 years, I was already looking around, and I eventually bit the bullet, even though there was nothing fundamentally wrong with my own car, but no... I just had an itch!!!!!

Funny that eh!!
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Sounds familiar... :)
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote:
DaveF wrote: Simon, you really need to move your setup to another room in the house to see how they sound or organise to bring them to someone elses place for an afternoon. A big effort I know but it would really tell you if your mancave is the main source of your problems.
Ah Dave, I knew we'd smoke you out. ;-)

A good call there, and I've been putting off doing that for a while. I also have been putting off trying to run the Kharmas across the mancave rather than down the length. For the most part I don't like near-field listening, but I should definitely give it a go before lashing out huge money on an upgrade. I need to take about 2 weeks off work and do this properly!!
Get some extra pairs of ears over too to help you out.

Are the type of problems you have now been always there with other speakers youve had in the past? I seem to remember you had PMC's that had very tight bass but they were problematic too.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

The room has been problematic in various ways, but the answer is basically yes. Different components sound different and quality does shine through, so I'm still hopeful the issues can be successfully solved, and that it's mainly a question of finding the right marriage. The PMCs were another prime example of speakers I loved elsewhere just not delivering in my room, and it all goes to show how difficult it truly is to assess speakers in a strange environment.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Speaking of upgraditis and itch to change....

I just browsed the Cloney audio pre owned section.... lo and behold there is a Jadis DA88S signature amplifier for sale.

What a Beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would appear that you are not the only one looking for a change Simon!!!

Man oh man there hasn't been this much excitement on the forum in decades!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BLWS to whoever it may be!!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ah jaysus I really want that.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Good damn, that's a beauty.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

There's a little guy standing on my shoulder telling me that pricewise the Jadis is almost a direct swap with Devialet.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Does he look like this?