Hard disk music question

Ken Moreland

Re: Hard disk music question

Post by Ken Moreland »

Hi John, thanks for the information. I expect you're not getting too many back within 30 days.A bit like Cloney's saying "take it home and try it for a few weeks " knowing they'd probably never see the kit again until trade in.

A couple of questions for you.

Does the buyer get his own charger from the links provided or do you also sell them?

Can I listen directly to a concert from, for example, Wolfgang's Vault ,via Foobar or something via the JKHiface , or do I need to download and save it first?

regards
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Ken Moreland wrote:Hi John, thanks for the information. I expect you're not getting too many back within 30 days.A bit like Cloney's saying "take it home and try it for a few weeks " knowing they'd probably never see the kit again until trade in.
I've had none returned, Ken so I guess people are satisfied.
A couple of questions for you.

Does the buyer get his own charger from the links provided or do you also sell them?
The buyer gets the recommended charger ($18 + shipping $25). You can use the JKHiface for about a week on the initial battery charge before it will need re-charging so no need to buy this unless you're keeping the unit.
Can I listen directly to a concert from, for example, Wolfgang's Vault ,via Foobar or something via the JKHiface , or do I need to download and save it first?

regards
KM
If you can stream it through Foobar you can listen directly using the Hiface or JKHiface
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Thanks John, so far so good.

Does anyone know how to stream Wolfgang's Vault concerts through Foobar or something similar which is compatible with the Hiface product. When I stream a concert on t'laptop it simply says Concert Vault player is running.

I don't mind paying for a keeper but I'd like to hear at high quality , through dac/amp etc before keeping. ( I have enough garbage already).Maybe this is impossible but somebody will know!
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Ken,
The Hiface just appears as another sound output device in your computer (Are you PC/Windows/Unix or MAc?). On a PC/Win you can set your default sound output to Hiface & playback will be through the Hiface (I'm sure it's the same on a Mac). I don't know how Wolfgang's Vault works but this should output the sound through the hiface.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Interesting info and thanks for the replies to my query. As a few of you will know, my music system is extremely bare bones, no preamp as the output from the CD player goes straight into the amps. There is a digital input on the CD player and that is it. And I do not want a PC in the music room, the Brennan box looked workable but it has no digital out and it has rather limited storage capacity.

Leaving the PC where it is, it might be possible to connect to a control box in the music room using CAT5 cable (digital signal) and feed it into the CD player. I never saw such a system, maybe there is no such system available bit one can always hope.

But thanks again for all your replies. Now I will get down to it and follow the links.......
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
james

Post by james »

Hi Rocker,

I understand you want to connect your computer via Ethernet to your CD player [so you can use the DAC in the CD player].

Two solutions come to mind both using a Squeezbox ..

a) Connect the PC to a wireless router, connect to the Squeezbox via wireless, take the digital output of the Squeezbox into the DAC ..

b) Connect your PC to the Squeezbox via wired ethernet. I think you will need an ethernet 'cross-over cable' to do this but I am not 100% sure it will work .. [the easier way is to use a router with your PC].

http://www.logitech.com/en-roeu/speaker ... ic-systems

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
tony

Post by tony »

Thanks James had a quick look at those links and they are kinda what I need to make sense of this stuff. The squeezebox sounds like the way to consider going. Fran has one and it was very impressive to here stuff from a remote pc played through the squeezebox through an amp into ugly old quads that sounded absolutely sublime(I think that was the config)

So the hiface is another component that is added in the line prior to a squeezebox or dac and then through a amp whereever it may be and on to speakers. In my case cyrus amp doesnt have a digital input(I got 8xp instead of xpd) so I need a hiface +dac or squeezebox. It starts to add up but certainly worth investigating instead of investing in dedicated hifi throughout the house. Funnily enough I think its only the male species of a certain age that regard having hi quality sound in numerous locations is necessary.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

tony wrote:Thanks James had a quick look at those links and they are kinda what I need to make sense of this stuff. The squeezebox sounds like the way to consider going. Fran has one and it was very impressive to here stuff from a remote pc played through the squeezebox through an amp into ugly old quads that sounded absolutely sublime(I think that was the config)

So the hiface is another component that is added in the line prior to a squeezebox or dac and then through a amp whereever it may be and on to speakers. In my case cyrus amp doesnt have a digital input(I got 8xp instead of xpd) so I need a hiface +dac or squeezebox. It starts to add up but certainly worth investigating instead of investing in dedicated hifi throughout the house. Funnily enough I think its only the male species of a certain age that regard having hi quality sound in numerous locations is necessary.
No the squeezebox can connect directly to the input of an amplifier, if that's the way you want to run it - there is no need for the Hiface in that case.
www.Ciunas.biz
tony

Post by tony »

I assumed the hiface would just add to the quality being delivered to the squeezebox?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

tony wrote:I assumed the hiface would just add to the quality being delivered to the squeezebox?
No, the squeezebox uses ethernet to connect to the computer & outputs SPDIf or analog (via it's internal DAC) . The Hiface uses USB to connect to the computer & outputs SPDIF.
www.Ciunas.biz