Hard disk music question

Rocker

Hard disk music question

Post by Rocker »

Is there a 'better' equivalent (for real world money) than the Brennan JB7 machine [google Brennan JB7 for more info]. The JB7 will not work in my system as it has no digital out but I like the idea of having lots of music on tap. Thanks.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
cybot

Re: Hard disk music question

Post by cybot »

Rocker wrote:Is there a 'better' equivalent (for real world money) than the Brennan JB7 machine [google Brennan JB7 for more info]. The JB7 will not work in my system as it has no digital out but I like the idea of having lots of music on tap. Thanks.
Great to see you posting again! I asked a question a few weeks ago about the Brennan as a non hi-fi friend asked me about it.
I asked was it too good to be true but I got no answers. Anway what's wrong with the line-out/headphone option? See below: Surely you not that purist, God forbid :)

FAQ:
Yes - about half our customers use JB7 with an existing amplifier. You can either use the JB7 line-out or the headphone out. (Both use 3.5mm stereo jack connectors.) The advantage with using the headphone out is that JB7 detects the headphone is being used and turns off the internal power amplifier. Also the main control can be used to adjust the volume of the headphone out - the line out has a fixed level.The JB7 power amps are happy to run without any speakers connected.

Customers have connected the JB7 to amplifiers from a huge variety of manufacturers - Bose, Denon, Sonos, Linn, Arcam, Sony - you name it - without any difficulty.
DancingPriest

Post by DancingPriest »

Why not just build a computer to accomplish the same task?

The computer audio forum on DIYAudio would be a good place to start http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/
Playing CD quality audio is not asking much from any computer made in the last decade!
Add a cheap lcd monitor and you will have a jukebox that can display a picture of whatever album you're playing...

Also, you could just upgrade the hard drive when you (inevitably) run out of space... not to mention the array of options a computer gives you to back up your collection if things go tits up!

Off the top of my head the main issue with computer audio is noise. Fans make noise, so you'll need to take care to eliminate or reduce their use in the build. The second source of noise comes from the really poor quality switching PSU that you find in most desktop computers.

That aside, the joy of a DIY computer transport are the sheer amount of options it gives you. Want a new user interface? fine! Going away? Set her up as a server and listen to your collection from anywhere in th world with an internet connection!
BTW I have at least 2 motherboards sitting idle, AFAIK they both have CPUs, GPUs and (I think) RAM. All you would need would be a Hard Drive, PSU, CD drive, Case and monitor-(lcd tv?) to be up and running. You're welcome to one of them if you can put it to use.
So...
CPU, Motherboard, RAM ~Free
1 tb HD ~ €100
CD drive ~ €SFA
Monitor ~ free-€150
PSU ~ ??? for a good one
Remote control ~€30
USB to digital interface ~ €80-€120 (Ask Fran!)
Total cost is circa €400
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

The priest is right.
USB to digital could be provided by the somewhat incredible Jkeny modified device as reviewed in our own review page. see http://tirnahifi.org/reviews/?page_id=9
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
DancingPriest

Post by DancingPriest »

I've been thinking...
Would the USB to Digital converter not play a huge role in mitigating the negative effects of a switching PSU?
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Hi Rocker,

What I would suggest:

Cheap older PC, something like a pentium 4 2.5GHz with 512mB ram - should be available almost free, certainly <100 euro. As DancingP says, the problem will be the fan noise. A laptop will do the job as well, as will a tablet PC with USB out.
Big external harddrive, say 130 euro
Jkeny's modded hiface unit, which I think is a fantastic unit

Transfer your CDs losslessly to the hard drive (rip them), preferably using WAV, but at least FLAC. Use Foobar or similar for playback. Use the SPDIF output from the hiface into your existing system and enjoy!!

I have heard the unmodded HiFace unit, some of jkenys early mods, and I also have a current production one here and I can say that they sound absolutely fantastic. I would be willing to bet it will sound at least as good as your current transport, and maybe better.

That's my honest opinion, not crap to try and get sales for jkeny! One of my own ideas is to hook up a tablet PC with a big external HDD and through a hiface. While you would need to rip new CDs as you got them, you would never have to try and "find" them again.

His website is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/hifacemods/home

Fran

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
james

Post by james »

a) There is an article on 'computeraudiophile.com' about a good system costing $1000 -- thats $300 for the computer and $700 for the soundcard .. it uses a Dell and a Lynx card ..

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/Audio ... For-A-Song

b) There is also the Linux Vortex project ...

http://vortexbox.org/

c) Another option is NAS drive and squeezbox into a DAC

--

The main problem I find with computer audio is ripping the CD's and getting the correct metadata.

Pop music is not too bad but you get ..
Beatles
The Beatles
Beatles The
... etc
and you have to edit the data to get everything stored in the one place,

but Classical is very bad .. so Glenn Gould playing Bach's Goldbergs' may be listed under
Gould Glenn
Glenn Gould
Bach
J.S. Bach
John Sebastian Bach
Goldbeg Variations
...etc
You get the idea.

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Getting interested in the JKenny modified Hiface (Met John at Fran's meet-up some time ago) and had a good look at his site from the link provided but I cannot see any mention of prices (maybe staring me in the face). Can anyone indicate the price of the current model ?
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

PM him Ken, he's around a good bit.

I have one of them here, and am pretty bowled over by it. It pretty much matches the best transports I've heard.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

if I remember rightly Ken he doesn't charge enough for them!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable