Croft Iosis Power Amp

cybot

Re: Croft Iosis Power Amp

Post by cybot »

tony wrote:For croft that is a really very nice looking amp.I am using a borrowed maybe it will remain here series 5 amp. It must be a mkii or mki as it looks completely different to your unit Terry. It is a standard config with all the valves sitting onto. It currently has the cage on it but I always have a laugh when I peer through the cage as it looks like there is about 28 valves in there. Ok that is an overstatement but there is 8 EL84's the big valve and a variety of signal valves. For the size of the chasis it is an incredible number of valves for such a small footprint. It His later designs seemed to go completely away from that type of arrangement as the later ones only have a few signal valves (ECC83 or 82 I think) and are hybrid design.
Sound wise i really like it and I have read conflicting stories on the web about its power output. I believe it is 25w's but some reviews put it at 40w which I doubt. It still has plenty of oomph to drive spendor a6's.
It's an original mk1 Series 5 Tony. When I got it first back in '94 I used to love listening to it in the dark and really seeing those valves glow :) I must plug it in again sometime. It's power output is 25 watts and it really does punch above it's weight. You're right about the later/current designs too as they are hybrid designs. Croft called them transvalves. Anyway glad you like the old boy. It's a little gem :)
terrybites

Post by terrybites »

Hi all and thanks for the kind words. Glenn was definitely wearing his glasses when he signed off on the styling of the Iosis.

Tony... have a look at the following... http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~apm3/diyaudio/Croft5.html. It's written by a very pleasant chap, Alex Megann at Southampton University. I think it's your machine he's referring to.

I've attached a pic of the 'glow in the dark' bits.

T
cybot

Post by cybot »

terrybites wrote:Hi all and thanks for the kind words. Glenn was definitely wearing his glasses when he signed off on the styling of the Iosis.

Tony... have a look at the following... http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~apm3/diyaudio/Croft5.html. It's written by a very pleasant chap, Alex Megann at Southampton University. I think it's your machine he's referring to.

I've attached a pic of the 'glow in the dark' bits.

T
It is. Thanks for the link it's great to be reading all that stuff again! For what it's worth, love or loath him, it was Ken's review that turned me onto the Croft. And I was hooked when I finally heard it up in Cloney Audio despite the fact I had my heart set on the beautiful Audio Innovations Series 500 integrated which I heard in another hi-fi establishment. It used to have a pair of Isobariks in the coffee shop downstairs afair.....Anybody remember the name of the shop?
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

cybot wrote:...despite the fact I had my heart set on the beautiful Audio Innovations Series 500 integrated
An amp I continue to enjoy in my living room system.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
terrybites

Post by terrybites »

The hifi establishment with the Isobariks was Ceol Products run by Tony Boushel in Swanville Place, opposite Burdocks. There was a coffee shop/restaurant called Red Shoes.

T
cybot

Post by cybot »

terrybites wrote:The hifi establishment with the Isobariks was Ceol Products run by Tony Boushel in Swanville Place, opposite Burdocks. There was a coffee shop/restaurant called Red Shoes.

T
Ah now I remember :) Thanks for that Terry!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Diapason wrote:
cybot wrote:...despite the fact I had my heart set on the beautiful Audio Innovations Series 500 integrated
An amp I continue to enjoy in my living room system.
Nice :)