Peats closed

JAW

Re: Peats closed

Post by JAW »

Yes, it's a great shame, but in truth I can't remember when I last bought anything there. When I was doing the radio officer's course at the end of the seventies Peats was a great resource for components. They used to have bins filled with circuit boards for next to nothing and for a penniless student that was a great way to get bits.
Ivor's right, the last few times I was there I ended up going around the corner to Maplins because I was either ignored or got blank stares.
DNT

Post by DNT »

Sad day for Peats. I have to say that over the years, I have had great service (and often good prices too) from them. Recently, I managed to get them to match a price from a rival by just asking! I often recommended it to friends who did not feel comfortable making the journey to Cloney's and they were always looked after. I myself got a great Logitech Remote control there not so long ago - the two assistants who advised me really knew what they were talking about, unlike what I find in Maplins, where I only do window shopping (along with Curry's etc.)

I agree with Ivor's comment about the numerous shops they opened in recent years. I always felt that their strength was in the customer service in the Parnell Street shop. I don't know how the small shops in Dame Street and elsewhere could ever make a profit. Although I got some good deals in Blanchardstown, the service was much more patchy.

It really is the end of an era.

Denis
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

Sorry to see any retailer go in this climate and sad to see people lose jobs. I bought very little from them over the years but they did do hifi and any lose in that area can't be good for the hobby. I hope some of the slack goes to Cloneys.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

and they're back!
Peats are to reopen Parnell Street and Rathmines stores. They'll have a big sale very soon in the Parnell St store to bring in some capital and then relaunch. Fair play, I think it was something of a "wake up call" for them.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:and they're back!
Peats are to reopen Parnell Street and Rathmines stores. They'll have a big sale very soon in the Parnell St store to bring in some capital and then relaunch. Fair play, I think it was something of a "wake up call" for them.
Great news Ivor :)
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Great news Ivor!
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
DNT

Post by DNT »

Great news indeed!

Hopefully there will be some bargains available in the coming weeks.

I hope they make a go of it this time.

DNT
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

MMmmmmm I'm not optimistic. This week I was looking for an AV amp and finally settled on a specific Yamaha yoke. Peats currently has it for €600 while Richersounds will deliver it to my door for €390. I'm also looking for a DECT phone/answering machine. Peats seem to be +€20 on the main contenders - that's +20 against other high street shops! they don't seem to have copped on.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Gregorio

Post by Gregorio »

I popped in to see what sort of deals might be available. The Parnell street shop is in a bit of a state alright!. But they do have 20-25% off a lot of stock. Picked up a Squeezebox Touch for 199euro. I know I can buy online etc, but it is good to see them open again. So little choice these days. G
DNT

Post by DNT »

MMmmmmm I'm not optimistic. This week I was looking for an AV amp and finally settled on a specific Yamaha yoke. Peats currently has it for €600 while Richersounds will deliver it to my door for €390. I'm also looking for a DECT phone/answering machine. Peats seem to be +€20 on the main contenders - that's +20 against other high street shops! they don't seem to have copped on.
Ivor, that price on the Yamaha seems to be a real scoop. I suspect the Peats in-shop price might be less than €600 but unlikely to match the Richer Sounds price. Having said that, I once challenged Peats (before they went into examinership) to match a competitor's price on something because I wanted to give them the business and they willingly did so. I got an item in the sale the other day for €439 that is everywhere else at €499, so there are bargains to be had, and I think it is important to support local where possible. (BTW I have no connection with them, just years of browsing in there and picking up the odd bargain. Probably a touch of middle-aged nostalgia!)

DNT