Peats closed

Rocker

Peats closed

Post by Rocker »

Just heard on the nine o'clock news that Peats have closed. The Peats.ie website has a statement on the situation.

http://www.peats.com/

Sad as another one goes the way of the rest.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Ivor

Re: Peats closed

Post by Ivor »

very sad that. I think they lost their way some time ago, they had become mid range hifi, mid range cinema and great for 'bits & bobs' (which can't sustain a large company). The customer service they built their little empire on disappeared long ago, I often found
myself rooting in the shop for the cable/connection/adapter I needed because the assistant didn't know what I was talking about. Maybe one mid size shop rather than 11 half-arsed ones could have survived? It's a sad day, I well remember even in the late '70s early '80s it was the shop for odd fuses etc.

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Sad indeed, sorry to hear it.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

I feel for the guy who worked in the Blanchardstown shop, he helped me locate my Squeezebox. It was not in his branch but he looked it up on his computer and told me where it was. And it was there . That kind of service made the buying experience better. And I would have gone back 'the next time' except they are now gone.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Rocker wrote:I feel for the guy who worked in the Blanchardstown shop, he helped me locate my Squeezebox. It was not in his branch but he looked it up on his computer and told me where it was. And it was there . That kind of service made the buying experience better. And I would have gone back 'the next time' except they are now gone.

Nice to hear that but I found that sort of service became rare. The guys in Rathmines were utterly useless. Every question was greeted by a blank stare.

In fairness to Peats they are looking after their employees entitlements unlike those parasites Game.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Claus

Post by Claus »

Sad to see another one gone. The big one in my hometown in Denmark went last week. Seems to be a trend :(

I remember when I first came over here, I always went to them for components etc. They were always really helpful and there was a couple of guys who really knew what they were on about. Those days are long gone and I can only second Ivor's sentiments. It might not be fair but when their prices were consequently 20 % higher than most other places then I don't think you leave yourself a big chance...
cybot

Post by cybot »

Sad indeed....
tony

Post by tony »

I think Ivor nailed. 11 shops the quality and service as a consequence dropped. The original business model was gone replaced with a strange currys/pc world hybrid. Prices were far too high.
It is strange the government have not moved on the rent situation in commercial properties. In the main this would seem to be supporting an unsustainable pension club for who? My guess is the well heeled banking/insurance industry etc but who knows for sure. Where in the world would you get upward only rent reviews but our bananna republic?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

I must say I think they suffered more through being horrifically expensive... ie always charging rrp... rather than customer service.... I, for convenience tried buying one or two bits and bobs over the years... but balked at the silly prices... by comparison Cloney has always been good value...

when something was non-current it's price was slashed! (which was fabulous for a student, as I was way back then!!)
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Claus

Post by Claus »

tony wrote:I think Ivor nailed. 11 shops the quality and service as a consequence dropped. The original business model was gone replaced with a strange currys/pc world hybrid. Prices were far too high.
It is strange the government have not moved on the rent situation in commercial properties. In the main this would seem to be supporting an unsustainable pension club for who? My guess is the well heeled banking/insurance industry etc but who knows for sure. Where in the world would you get upward only rent reviews but our bananna republic?
Is this further proof that we only have one party in Ireland: The politicians?