What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:
fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Vieuxtemps - Violin Concerto No.5 (Jascha Heifetz/Malcolm Sargent, New Symphony Orchestra of London, RCA)

Did you like the music Darren? I find the Vieuxtemps Violin Concertos to be really wonderful pieces of music but I only have them on Naxos (which I must add are very well performed!).
I didn't find it particularly inspiring if I am honest Fergus. I will try again at a later date...
I have the Jascha Heifetz RCA box set. I do not like his tone at all, it's sounds more like a Jazz musican's fiddle playing, it's thin and boxy and lacks emotion, I much prefer David Oistrakh, Arthur Grumiaux and Leonid Kogan.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: I'm not saying I don't like it... but it will certainly take more than a few listens to re-acquaint myself with this musical language...
Yep. I see where you are at....that sounds familiar!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:
fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Vieuxtemps - Violin Concerto No.5 (Jascha Heifetz/Malcolm Sargent, New Symphony Orchestra of London, RCA)

Did you like the music Darren? I find the Vieuxtemps Violin Concertos to be really wonderful pieces of music but I only have them on Naxos (which I must add are very well performed!).
I didn't find it particularly inspiring if I am honest Fergus. I will try again at a later date...
Interesting Darren....I took to the music instantly.

Edit: I wonder if Seán has the solution there?
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Mozart - Operatic Arias & Exsultate, Jubilate (Cecilia Bartoli/Gyorgy Fischer, Wiener Kammerorchester, Decca)

It's nights like tonight when I nearly convince myself that all I'll ever really need is Mozart...

;-)
bombasticDarren

Ravel - Piano Concerto in G major & Gaspard de la nuit (Werner Haas/Alceo Galliera, Orchestre National de l'Opera de Monte-Carlo, Philips)

bombasticDarren

Dvorak - String Serenade

Suk - String Serenade (Christopher Warren-Green, London Chamber Orchestra, Virgin Classics)

bombasticDarren

Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.4 (Murray Perahia/Bernard Haitink, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Sony Classical)

Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:Murray Perahia/Bernard Haitink, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

That is a great set, I love it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Partitas 4-6.