Desert island discs

Claus

Re: Desert island discs

Post by Claus »

These are mine:

Jared

Re: Desert island discs

Post by Jared »

Diapason wrote:I've tried this before and it's never really worked, but sure it's worth another go!

I went to buy some CDs recently but pulled a blank, for the simple reason that I always forget all the things that I think I "must buy". It would be handy to have a compendium of suggestions, over and above the "what are you listening to" and "just arrived in the post" threads, so that when I felt the urge to buy a CD (or, more accurately, several CDs) I could have a few ready-made suggestions that I at least know are of good quality. Only the best for this thread, please, nothing that you half-like or that is better described as "interesting".

Any takers?
I think this is a far too busty topic for me to even attempt to tackle, but my serious recommendation would be to leaf through the first few pages of the annual Gramophone Guide to Classical Music, where you'll come across two very valuable sections; firstly a list of essential works which every classical library should contain, and secondly, their view on the 100 best recordings of all time... I realise that the 2nd of these in particular is a little more subjective, but I really don't think you can go far wrong with taking their advice on such basic repertoire... :-)