Desert island discs

Diapason

Desert island discs

Post by Diapason »

I've tried this before and it's never really worked, but sure it's worth another go!

I went to buy some CDs recently but pulled a blank, for the simple reason that I always forget all the things that I think I "must buy". It would be handy to have a compendium of suggestions, over and above the "what are you listening to" and "just arrived in the post" threads, so that when I felt the urge to buy a CD (or, more accurately, several CDs) I could have a few ready-made suggestions that I at least know are of good quality. Only the best for this thread, please, nothing that you half-like or that is better described as "interesting".

Any takers?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Re: Desert island discs

Post by DaveF »

there are a handful of Jordi Savall recordings that I think should be in every collection. I'll post links later. Interestingly enough, most of the discs that I consider reference quaility both in terms of the music and recording quailty are of the Baroque repertoir. The Vivaldi recordings from the Naive label are also what I consider top notch as are a lot of Hogwood/AAM recordings.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:I've tried this before and it's never really worked, but sure it's worth another go!

I went to buy some CDs recently but pulled a blank, for the simple reason that I always forget all the things that I think I "must buy". It would be handy to have a compendium of suggestions, over and above the "what are you listening to" and "just arrived in the post" threads, so that when I felt the urge to buy a CD (or, more accurately, several CDs) I could have a few ready-made suggestions that I at least know are of good quality. Only the best for this thread, please, nothing that you half-like or that is better described as "interesting".

Any takers?
That's a great idea.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Oh dear I had hoped that you would have a wealth of options to choose from by now, I'll go first then so shall I? I am a newbie, some of these I have had recommended to me. These are not necessarily Desert Island Disc recordings they have though given me great pleasure over the past few years. Here is a small selection that I am prepared to recommend without hesitation:

Don't let size fool you, this is a magnificent recording.
Bela Bartok
Concerto for Orchestra

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Fritz Reiner - conducting

Bela Bartók
Piano Concertos 1 & 2

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Maurizio Pollini - piano
Claudio Abbado - conducting

Beethoven's gorgeous violin & piano sonatas
Arthur Grumiaux - violin
Clara Haskil - piano

The five concertos are available as a 3 CD set for less than €20. I have the Fourth and Fifth.
I love the Fifth this is a sensational recording:
Beethoven
Piano Concerto no. 5

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
Murray Perahia - piano
Bernard Haitink - conducting.

Claude Debussy
La Mer et al

Concertgebouw Orchestra
Bernard Haitink - conducting

Debussy has his detractors and I can't for the life of me understand why. Beautifully played.

Carl Nielsen
Symphonies 4, 5

SFSO
Herbert Blomstedt - conducting

One of the very best records in my collection, wonderful orchestral music played beautifully. Blomstedt is always reliable and the SFSO are class.

Franz Schubert
Symphony 5, 8 & 9

Wiener Philharmoniker
Georg Solti - conducting

Ah Georg Solti, what more can I say? My first and favourite Great symphony.

And finally for now here's one that might surprise you, this is gorgeous music played on period instruments:
Mauro Giuliani
Complete Guitar Concertos

Ensemble Ottocento
Claudio Maccari - guitar
Paolo Pugliese - guitar
Leader Andrea Rognoni
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Seán wrote:Oh dear I had hoped that you would have a wealth of options to choose from by now
I have been thinking about this: well done Seán for going first. You've picked several that I'd wholeheartedly recommend too, the rest I'm not familiar with!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I should really contribute myself, but I'm also struggling to get started. It's difficult somehow.

Thank you Seán!! There are a lot of gaps to be filled in my collection.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Most of these are chamber works. I was going to post some Mahler stuff but I'm not sure if you're really a fan. Anyway I think you already have the Bertini Mahler set which is as good as any I suppose.

Many of the Vivaldi recordings by Naive are really good. This one is my favorite. (Nothing to do with the cover....honest!)

I think a few of us heard this one at Ciaran's. Superb recording indeed.

Béla Bartók: The 6 String Quartets - Takács Quartet. Not easy but very rewarding if you give it a chance.

There are tonnes more but these ones here are usually what I bring when demoing gear.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thanks Dave!
DaveF wrote:Most of these are chamber works. I was going to post some Mahler stuff but I'm not sure if you're really a fan. Anyway I think you already have the Bertini Mahler set which is as good as any I suppose.
I do indeed have that set, but this thread shouldn't be just about recommendations for me. It should be discs that you love and that you'd recommend to others (whether they like Mahler or not!!)

One way or the other, you've listed a fair few discs that I definitely want and one or two that I already have.
Derek

Post by Derek »

OK Si
In order of choice

Albeniz - Iberia
A CD I know intimately, for years Sunday morning wasn't complete without it, it has to travel.

Rimsky Korsakov - Scheherazade
Sir Thomas Beecham
An old favourite from EMI, a luscious, warm, cuddly offering. Just to close the eyes and dream.
Bliss

Satie - Gymnopedies
Sparse and whimsical, eccentric and witty, wonderful music.

Puccini - La Boheme
With the very great Renata Tebaldi in the role of Mimi, a sublime performance, an outstanding recording.

NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thank you Derek, you've actually recommended 2 discs there (the Satie and the Albeniz/Granados) that I've been meaning to buy for some time. Nice one!