I'm gonna have to get me one eventually....

Fran
Site Admin

I'm gonna have to get me one eventually....

Post by Fran »

Beware some objects of desire ahead....

http://www.j-corder.com/J-Corder_Tapedecks.html

droooooollll........
Do or do not, there is no try
Adrian

Re: I'm gonna have to get me one eventually....

Post by Adrian »

Well well well.... What have we here??????????

They look fantastic!!

Excuse my ignorance but are they still making reel to reel? Or have they being refubished? Anybody got any ideas?
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Both Ciaran and Bill in Clonmel kindly donated reel to reel machines to me for use and training in our little ol' radio station. We had a few small issues getting spare reels (the empty wheel as opposed to the actual tape) which gives me the impression the machines themselves aren't being produced anymore. That said there's something a lot more satisfying about splicing a 1/4 inch tape during editing than cutting and pasting on a PC. The results sound different too. I don't think they'd work well as a hifi source either, The hiss is lovely an' all but on a high end system they're way behind CD or vinyl.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

As I understand it, these are original ones that the fella has reconditioned and then re-painted to look even cooler (if thats possible!)

Theres even a carbon fibre one....

Fran
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I dunno, sound aside, there's just something COOL about the look of a reel to reel tape.
Fran wrote: Theres even a carbon fibre one....
Goes faster.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

God they are spectacularly lovely, like a delicious woman I say, bet they sound better though.

Fado, fado a friend of mine had a Revox machine I loved the sound from it even though it wasn't really high end. There was something real and tangible about them that I liked...ah well memories.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Fran wrote: Image
I want that one!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote:I dunno, sound aside, there's just something COOL about the look of a reel to reel tape.
After I collellected a Revox from Bill (He was Baroid on the old place - I wish I had contact details) I did rig it up to the hifi and played some tapes through it. It certainly did have a lovely sound - warm, lucid and intimate but there was a serious lack of detail compared to a CD player or turntable. To be honest they have a place in a radio/recording studio but they're a bit academic in a domestic system, don't get me wrong, I'd like one as a permanent part of my system too but by current standards they're not 'up there'.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

mmm and yet they get raved about...

Fergus, thats my favourite too!!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Fran wrote:mmm and yet they get raved about...
Some headcases will rave about anything old, and let's face it, this hobby has its fair share of headcases.

A question, though: what were all those old analogue recordings made on? Were such tapes similar to this?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2