Linn LP12/ Ittok LV II/ Sumiko Blue Point: SOLD

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
Ciaran

Linn LP12/ Ittok LV II/ Sumiko Blue Point: SOLD

Post by Ciaran »

I'm selling my Linn! I've just agreed to sell my vinyl collection, so it has no purpose any more. It was sounding very well yesterday, so well I was starting to regret my decision a little.

I bought it from Cloney Audio in 1988 for about €1000 and it was serviced once by Cloney's, about 2000. It has the Valhalla power supply. I have the original box, a bit dusty from 20 years in the attic!

I bought the Ittok on eBay in 2006 for €370: you wouldn't get one as cheap now, I think. AndyS kindly fitted the Ittok for me, and it transformed the sound! I bought the cartridge (high output moving coil) from Cloney's in 2001. It has about 300 hours wear on it: it should be good for another 300 at least.

Flaws: the springs in the hinges are too weak to reliably hold up the lid. New hinges are available on eBay (very easy to replace yourself) and perhaps through Cloney. People talk about replacing the drivebelt, grommets and springs: none of these has been done. It could do with oil in the bearing being replaced: there isn't that much left. You could probably have it serviced at Cloney's and have these things attended to. Nonetheless: it still sounds spectacular without them being done.

LP12s seem to be coming up on eBay regularly. Dealers seem to be inclined to split the turntable and arm to maximise the total price. €470 + €390 = €860 is one recent price for the LP12/Ittok combination (no cartridge). OTOH Cloney apparently recently sold an LP12/Ittok for €575. I would happily accept €575 for this legendary turntable and save myself the bother of putting it on eBay.

You can come and hear it for yourself if you're seriously interested.
cybot

Re: Linn Sondek LP12/ Ittok LV II/ Sumiko Blue Point

Post by cybot »

Good luck with the sale. The Russ Andrews link below should allay your worries about belts,oil hinges etc etc for the Linn and at very reasonable prices too!

http://www.russandrews.com/category.asp ... BCGQVKSKLZ
tony

Post by tony »

Dont want to hijack this post but have a couple of questions. How does it compare to a modern turntable like clearaudio concept?
Always wanted one of these but just wonder is it like the BMW K75 I bought that I always wanted but by the time I got around to purchasing it was old hat.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Modest

Post by Modest »

You have PM Ciaran
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Thanks, Modest. Reply sent.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

cybot wrote:Good luck with the sale. The Russ Andrews link below should allay your worries about belts,oil hinges etc etc for the Linn and at very reasonable prices too!

http://www.russandrews.com/category.asp ... BCGQVKSKLZ
Thanks for that, Cybot! A warning: the oil on the Russ Andrews site is the "new" black oil. Apparently this can't be used on the older (pre-Cirkus) bearings like on mine as it will infiltrate the plastic sleeve on the bearing which will swell and the bearing will seize up. Or so I've been told. I'm sure a suitable oil is available for the older bearing.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

tony wrote:Dont want to hijack this post but have a couple of questions. How does it compare to a modern turntable like clearaudio concept?
Always wanted one of these but just wonder is it like the BMW K75 I bought that I always wanted but by the time I got around to purchasing it was old hat.
Hi Tony: I'm afraid I haven't made the comparison, but I think it sounds fabulous and my standard of comparison is really high-end (dCS) digital gear. For the money it will get you much further up the ladder than anything else I can think of. DaveF was listening to it yesterday and he has a Clearaudio turntable at home, so he might be able to say something about the comparison. For what it's worth, the LP12 is still made and highly regarded, though very expensive.
Seán

Re: Linn LP12/ Ittok LV II/ Sumiko Blue Point: NOW RESERVED

Post by Seán »

Ciaran wrote:I've just agreed to sell my vinyl collection
Oh, who is the lucky purchaser, I wonder.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
tony

Post by tony »

Thanks Ciaran I cant buy a turntable at the moment regardless and dont know if I will ever need to but I think this would have been easily good enough for me and is probably a good opportunity missed. Congrats Modest.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Best of luck with the sale Ciaran....if I had not got another hifi project going at the moment I would have taken it!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra