Optimum method to hook up a second subwoofer?

cbarone

Optimum method to hook up a second subwoofer?

Post by cbarone »

Hi Folks,

I run a small REL sub in my system (Q200E). Its connected 'low level' (direct from the Processor SUB out), and 'hi level' (connected with the Neutrik cable direct from the power amp). The performance is pretty special but as we know there are no end to possible upgrades and I do have a second sub in the house that I can use.

So my question is, what is the best way of hooking up the second sub for home cinema use? Can I just buy an 'rca Y splitter' and feed the second sub a LFE signal from the Processors SUB out? Is this safe?

I am ok for Music running KEF Ref 4-2's on the fronts which are meaty. Just want more shock waves from the Blu-ray :-)

Regards, Charlie
Matt

Re: Optimum method to hook up a second subwoofer?

Post by Matt »

Hi Charlie

I would think using a Y splitter will work as it should just split the signal from the LFE on the amp down 2 sub cables instead of a straight run down 1 cable.

I have a Monster Y splitter you can have for free. I bought it but never ended up using it.

It looks like this, except its red http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PHONO-SPLITTER-RC ... 333wt_1139

Im in North dublin

Cheers
Matt
Arcam Cd33, Vdh The Integration, ATC CA2, Gotham GAC-2v1 XLR, ATC scm50asl
JFK

Post by JFK »

Hi , You could also Daisy chain the second sub from the Rel if the connections are there , I have seen it done a t Cloney Demos .So RCA out on the REL to RCA in on the second sub .. Might need a long run of twin RCA depending on how far the second sub will be from the REL ..Cheers
cbarone

Post by cbarone »

Thanks for the advice guys. Matt, you are a gentleman to offer the cables. I am based in the midlands so might just get some on eBay if thats the chosen route, thanks again though for your offer.

JFK - I'll check the connections on the REL tonight. I know there's a pair of phono connectors and I only ever use the one on the left (direct from the Processor SUB out). However I'm not so sure the other phono is an 'output' from the REL. That's a little confusing - why Left and Right channel inputs to a sub which is single channel and non-directional...

Regards,

Charlie
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

If its like mine the way that works is that the RCA inputs are meant to come from the preamp output and the RCA out from the sub is the "cut" signal to go on to the main speakers i.e. this output is affected by the crossover you set on the Rel.

I think you have 2 options:

1. Wire a second set of speaker cable to the 2 subs (kinda in parallel with your existing speakers, from the amp). This is the way mine is done (music only) and my Rels at least recommend that method.
2. Do as you suggested further up the line and just split the line to the RCA input on the Rel so that the same preamp output drives 2 Rel subs. It will be a bit harder on the preamp, but shouldn't make a difference.

You might be able to rig up something temporarily to verify that its working before splashing the cash....

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Matt

Post by Matt »

No problem Charlie, hopefully you get it sorted.
Arcam Cd33, Vdh The Integration, ATC CA2, Gotham GAC-2v1 XLR, ATC scm50asl