Reference discs for auditioning

fergus

Reference discs for auditioning

Post by fergus »

We all have reference discs when auditioning new equipment components or cabling which enable us to hopefully evaluate objectively what we are hearing in our new or prospective purchase. I have been using my reference CDs a little more than usual in the last few months. They are not necessarily (read definitely) the best recordings available for each of my chosen pieces but they certainly would be among my favourite performances. In this case familiarity breeds familiarity; as I would have listened to these pieces many, many times over the years this then puts me in a position that when I am auditioning a new purchase I can critically evaluate what I am hearing because I am not focusing on the music but what effect, if any, that the new purchase is having on the music.

I thought that I would post my reference pieces and what specifically I look for when doing an A/B comparison test....

Bach: Cantata BWV 54, 1st movement sung by Marga Hoffgen

There are two reasons for choosing this one namely the quality of Hoffgen’s voice and (even though this is a re-mastered CD) the opening introduction has quite a muddied bass line. That bass line can be tightened up and the bass boom can be considerably reduced.

Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 4, 1st movement played by the Linde Consort....

An early purchase for me and not a top quality recording but I still like the performances very much. The recorders can sound bright and harsh in the higher registers and these can be made to sound smoother with a more round sound.

Strauss: Four Last Songs, No. 3 Beim Schlafengehen sung by Elisabeth Schwarzkopf....

This is a divine performance for me and it is used just to see how any new product will handle her voice. It is wonderful to hear her voice projected right into the room.

Beethoven: Archduke Trio, 1st movement played by Stern, Rose and Istomin....

This one is used to assess the sound of the piano in the higher registers as well as the sound of the ‘cello and particularly the impact as it enters after those first few moments.

Beethoven: Symphony No.6, 4th movement played by the BPO/von Karajan....

Not a particularly brilliant recording but the storm is very well captured here and as it develops this is my test for overall dynamics as well as the active bass lines that can be agitated. The roll over into the final movement when the storm subsides and the sun breaks from behind the black storm clouds can also be quite revealing.

What are your test/reference pieces, irrespective of genre, and why?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
JAW

Re: Reference discs for auditioning

Post by JAW »

Good one Fergus!

I generally use these, choosing particularly tracks:

Breathing is the track on this one. About two thirds of the way through there is a spoken word part, quite low in the mix, which can be difficult to hear on some systems and is followed by loud guitar, so I find this good for overall balance and transient response. I've been using this as a reference track for over twenty years, so at this stage it's second nature to reach for Kate. (Did I really just say that)?

Kate again! The Man with the Child in his Eyes. The vocals can sound very sibilant on overbright systems and the cello gives a good sense of the weight available in the bass end.

Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes. Pretty much anything on this, but particularly Oh Well and Shake Your Money Maker. Such a well recorded live album you can almost feel the heat coming off the amps. Great sense of space and separation of instruments. Makes me smile on any system, the wider the smile the better the system!

The Boys of Summer. California punk at its best. A lot happening low in the mix, behind the in your face presentation. Normally after this one I'm asked to put up or shut up!
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Got this Linn Records sampler CD back in 2001 [free with Hi Fi News & RR ...
The Linn catalogue is strong on jazz singers, and Claire Martin, Barb Jungr and Carol Kidd, featured on the sampler, provide a rich vein of vocal talent. Great tracks are included here from guitarist Martin Taylor, saxophonist Tommy Smith, and cool quartet the Perfect Houseplants, representing the instrumentalists.

The Linn Classical selection includes John Tavener's dramatic and beautiful Depart in Peace sung by soprano Patricia Rozario, and a recording of Samuel Barber's Agnus Dei, his famous Adagio for Strings set for voices, by vocal group The Dunedin Consort. Linn's critically acclaimed recordings of music from the Renaissance are featured with an elegant dance tune of Robert Dowland played by Nigel North.

Linn Scottish highlights Ian Bruce's Galloway Tam from our landmark series The Complete Songs of Robert Burns, alongside the haunting Ba Mo Leanabh (O My Baby), a traditional song from the remote Isle of Lewis, sung by the three sisters of Mackenzie.
And Shelby and Kate are 2 ladies I would audition with anytime ....
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (6.28 KiB) Viewed 780 times
Shelby Lynne.jpg
Shelby Lynne.jpg (45.05 KiB) Viewed 780 times
akp-175.jpg
akp-175.jpg (7.43 KiB) Viewed 781 times
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
fergus

Post by fergus »

JAW wrote:Good one Fergus!

so at this stage it's second nature to reach for Kate. (Did I really just say that)?
Hmmm....Kate Bush.....hmmm....yes, definitey Johnny!!!!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Well Fergus, you certainly know how to open a can of rotten worms :-) I’ve been haunted this past few days since I first stumbled on your apparently innocent request..
It’s like my little wife suddenly confronting me in the middle of the night when everything is dark and quiet and the ticking clock fades away into the background to be replaced by a ghostly voice….’But do you love me and why???’ Argh!??!

Anyway here I am trying to think of a valid answer to your equally valid question. The first thing I have to say is this is about me and my little hearing affliction (30% natural/70% digital!?!?) and my own ears interpretation of the sounds emanating from my hi-fi chamber. Don’t laugh, one day any of you too could be in the same boat as I’ve been all my life, as old age approaches. So this little preamble could be of benefit to you too or somebody else you know.

First things first: what do I look for in a hi-fi system?

1. How does it handle sibilance? It took me a while to discover that sibilance is a natural occurring phenomonen.Changing from an analogue aid to a digital aid 5 years ago showed me what I had been blissfully unaware of all my life!

2. How does it handle bass? Bass is extremely important for me because it sort of masks the horrible treble that sometimes poses as detail/transparency.Too much and it becomes boomy/overly rich/incredibly dull etc etc Too little and I’m running for the Panadol :-)

3. How does it handle treble? It has to be as natural sounding as possible but with enough detail to keep me happy without resorting to the screeching banshee like wails I’ve heard so often in the past!...and from excruciatingly expensive systems too…

4. How does it handle dynamics? Is it like a Jack Russell pretending it’s a Rotweiller? Again it has to be natural and not over emphasised.

5. Has it got a long or short listenability element? I want to be able to sit down and listen for as long as I want and not switch off after 20 minutes with my head spinning and in sore need of another Panadol :-)

6. Is it musical and believable? I’m not going there….

7. Does the system sound balanced? By that I mean, are all the important areas reasonably spotlighted and not overly so….ie it has to satisfy my crazy eclectic tastes from Noise to Jazz to Rock, Blues, Electronic,Classical and beyond….

8. Does it enhance the ‘good’ recordings and ameliorate the bad’uns?

So there it is and I haven’t mentoned any of my own test discs??? All I can say is that you have to be in the arena to be fully tuned into what test discs to use etc etc As I haven’t really done a valid demo since 2008 and 1994 before that (I detest them,if truth be told!) it’s hard for me to remember what discs I did use back then…But I will say that whatever test discs I do whip out, they always fall into two categories: the bad ‘uns and the good ‘uns….and here they are (finally!) :

1. John Renbourne : ‘Another Monday’ – a magnificent two track reel to reel
recording which should sound full of life and detailed.

2. Isan : ‘Meet Next Life’ – for detail and bass handling and quality (and quantity!)

3. Vaughan Williams : ‘Tallis Fantasia’ from CFP featuring the LPO conducted
by Vernon Handley – this has an enormously dynamic uplifting sound which
should convey the ghostly presence of the ‘phantom’ choir and can sound
terribly strident on the ‘wrong’ system.

‘Sinfonia Antartica’ featuring the LPO conducted by Bernard Haitink on EMI –
somebody described Vaughan Williams as Yawn Williams!; A cursory listen
to this gigantic towering recording should convince them otherwise.

Claude Debussy : ‘Preludes for Piano – books 1 and 2’ by Paul Jacobs on
Nonesuch – this is a great recording and it’s played on a Bosendorfer piano
with its rich sonorities and the extra bass notes that no other piano offers.
It should sound transcendant: open, luscious and with an enormous dynamic
range and tremendous presence. I’ve heard it sound woolly and dull on certain
systems.

4. Jimi Hendrix : any live/studio album will do… - should have a full genuine ‘70s
sound. If it sounds tinny then there is something seriously amiss! Believe me, I’ve
heard poor Jimi sound tinny – the Nordost Man, Lars, managed that impossible
feat during one of his (in)famous demos…

5. Lisa Gerrard/Dead Can Dance : The Silver Tree/ Into the Labyrinth – Wow ! these
should sound amazing musically and vocally…

6. The Beatles : any of their albums… - just to see if George Martin’s ‘sound’ is
intact…they can sound horrible on certain systems (Martin Logans anyone?)

7 Rolling Stones : - ‘The Greatest Hits 1964 – 1971’ – this one came out in 1990
supposedly pressed on 100% virgin vinyl and digitally remastered from the
original master tapes to within an inch of its life. On the ‘wrong’ system this
can sound absolutely horrendous with exaggerated sibilance on some tracks
notably ‘Heart of Stone’ (ouch!??!). This was the track that convinced me to
part company with the BK pre I was demoing at the time. Noel couldn’t
understand why I didn’t like the BK as all his customers gave it the thumbs
up;then he realised that they were using CD players.So he felt that maybe the
phono stage wasn’t the most subtle.Enter the venerable Croft Super Micro 3 :-)

8 .Nick Drake : any album but usually ‘Five Leaves Left’ and ‘Time of No Reply’
- just to see if the Island ‘sound’ is intact without it being overly warm sounding…

9. Tracey Thorn : ‘Another Shore’ – an indie/home recording with king sized
sibilance… or should I say Queen :-)

10. Jazz : any album really, just to check for detail and and that it’s not overly warm
sounding.

That’s it folks and good night :-)
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

1. How does it handle sibilance? It took me a while to discover that sibilance is a natural occurring phenomonen.Changing from an analogue aid to a digital aid 5 years ago showed me what I had been blissfully unaware of all my life!

2. How does it handle bass? Bass is extremely important for me because it sort of masks the horrible treble that sometimes poses as detail/transparency.Too much and it becomes boomy/overly rich/incredibly dull etc etc Too little and I’m running for the Panadol :-)

3. How does it handle treble? It has to be as natural sounding as possible but with enough detail to keep me happy without resorting to the screeching banshee like wails I’ve heard so often in the past!...and from excruciatingly expensive systems too…

4. How does it handle dynamics? Is it like a Jack Russell pretending it’s a Rotweiller? Again it has to be natural and not over emphasised.

5. Has it got a long or short listenability element? I want to be able to sit down and listen for as long as I want and not switch off after 20 minutes with my head spinning and in sore need of another Panadol :-)

7. Does the system sound balanced? By that I mean, are all the important areas reasonably spotlighted and not overly so….ie it has to satisfy my crazy eclectic tastes from Noise to Jazz to Rock, Blues, Electronic,Classical and beyond….

This is an excellent guide Dermot....

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

Thanks Fran :-)
fergus

Post by fergus »

Fran wrote:

This is an excellent guide Dermot....

Fran

Fran got there before me Dermot but I agree 100% with him. Well done on a very insightful and thought through response and I apologise for any sleepless nights caused!!!
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:

Fran got there before me Dermot but I agree 100% with him. Well done on a very insightful and thought through response and I apologise for any sleepless nights caused!!!
Thanks Fergus. Believe me it was worth it :-) Thank you for asking the question in the first place...
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I have a few. Here's the top-of-my-head answer:

North Dakota is a fabulous track anyway, but if the cymbal crashes don't decay all the way into nothingness I'm not buying the component I'm testing. It's also a good album for testing hardness (Baltimore, Church), warmth (She's Already Made Up Her Mind) and space (Church again). This is my go-to disc for testing, the first off the rack every time.

My favourite Tori Album by a long way, full of gorgeous songs and gorgeous recordings. Jupiter should leave you rapt with attention, hanging on to every syllable, breath and lipsmack. Glorious. Way Down, with a gospel choir in a background role, tests the resolution again, and it should sound in real space. Hard to get right. Little Amsterdam should have perfect balance, and finally the brass throughout Putting The Damage On should sound open yet warm. Again, hard to get right. All through, Tori's voice should be 100% in the room, completely lifelike.

The Offertoire by Batiste has a ridiculous pedal opening, very loud, 32" reeds, the full monty. It should sound absolutely BLAZING, and if the deepest bass isn't there it won't work. Apart from that, if you get through this without a driver in the face, you're probably doing quite well.

Various tracks here to test clean, glistening guitar strings, and various other bits and bobs. Dee 'n' A, Machupicchu and Thanksgiving are the standouts.

This is all about the Duruflé Sanctus. Volume and scale should just keep increasing and increasing, and the climax should have your heart racing and your brain marvelling at what good hifi can do.

You know, there are loads more now that I've started thinking about it, but I'll leave it at that for the moment.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2