Phono stages

Diapason

Phono stages

Post by Diapason »

Morning. My amp hunting at the moment is being curtailed by my need for a phono stage, and I'm starting to think I should just get a separate phono stage so I have more flexibility. Any suggestions? Must have MM and MC capability, and preferably with adjustable loading and capacitance. I'm not sure about budget, but 500ish maybe?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Phono stages

Post by Fran »

Do or do not, there is no try
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I hear good things about those Dynavector stages - was it Claus that had one here?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:21 am I hear good things about those Dynavector stages - was it Claus that had one here?
And I think Terry G had that one before Claus
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Terry

Post by Terry »

Ivor wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:53 am
Fran wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:21 am I hear good things about those Dynavector stages - was it Claus that had one here?
And I think Terry G had that one before Claus
I have a P75 Mk3 Ivor (Claus had a Mk2). It’s in great shape. Have it for sale as my Accuphase has a fine phono stage on board.

If interested Simon, I can set it up for you to take away for a listen. Would need to know your cartridge as the unit uses a clever system of easily adjusted ‘jumpers’ to match loading etc.

Terry
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
james

Post by james »

Here is a phono stage costing £13.5k ...

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superio ... iaa.htm
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thanks all, and thanks for offer of a listen to that Dynavector. I'll dither for a while longer, as always!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

The Tom Evans ones always get great reviews, as do Graham Slee and Whest, not sure what models they have in the range you're talking about. I think you're at a break point here Si. I think if you make up your mind about future direction you can save yourself money in the future. So if you are thinking strongly that you are going to upgrade cartridge, and maybe TT at some point not too far away, then it makes sense to allocate more funds to buy a phonostage thats a "keeper" and has the adjustability for MM or MC. Buy once and keep - and if you buy with adjustability in mind, then you will be pretty sure it will work with whatever cartridge you ever end up with. GerryD's Gold Note PH10 is a good example of this - huge adjustability, with alternate curves for Decca etc, gain adjustments, loading of every kind. It'll be more spendy than you mentioned, but its a buy once while keeping flexibility for down the line.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Agree with Fran, if you can get a destination phono stage then do. If funds allow and it has reasonable flexibility it's a once off purchase.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Leaving aside James's €13.5k suggestion (!) any other suggestions for destination phono stages? At this point, it seems clear the vinyl is here to stay, I'm already eyeing a TT upgrade, and I know that at some point an MC cart will feature. It's a balancing act, of course...