Neil Peart RIP

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
mcq

Neil Peart RIP

Post by mcq »

I was profoundly saddened to hear of the recent death from brain cancer at 67 of Neil Peart.

Rush were a band I loved in my teenage years. They were never a cool band, with a lot of mockery directed at Geddy Lee’s high pitched vocals in particular, but still, I loved their music. I only saw them once in 1992 in London on their Roll The Bones world tour and, despite having a seat near the back of Wembley Arena, enjoyed every moment. I always regretted missing their performance in Dublin a few years ago. The footage I saw from that tour showed a band at the height of their powers and one that eclipsed utterly the version of the band I saw in London in 1992. I had a feeling that I had missed my chance and they would never come back to Dublin and I was right.

In addition to the music, there was always a sense of chemistry and respect between Lee, Lifeson and Peart who appeared to remain genuine friends throughout the many years they toured together. And Peart will be remembered, I feel, as one of the great rock drummers. A man deeply inspired by big band drummers like Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich, who used his virtuosity as a vehicle to serve the song and never to merely indulge himself. He will be missed.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Re: Neil Peart RIP

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:47 pm I was profoundly saddened to hear of the recent death from brain cancer at 67 of Neil Peart.

Rush were a band I loved in my teenage years. They were never a cool band, with a lot of mockery directed at Geddy Lee’s high pitched vocals in particular, but still, I loved their music. I only saw them once in 1992 in London on their Roll The Bones world tour and, despite having a seat near the back of Wembley Arena, enjoyed every moment. I always regretted missing their performance in Dublin a few years ago. The footage I saw from that tour showed a band at the height of their powers and one that eclipsed utterly the version of the band I saw in London in 1992. I had a feeling that I had missed my chance and they would never come back to Dublin and I was right.

In addition to the music, there was always a sense of chemistry and respect between Lee, Lifeson and Peart who appeared to remain genuine friends throughout the many years they toured together. And Peart will be remembered, I feel, as one of the great rock drummers. A man deeply inspired by big band drummers like Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich, who used his virtuosity as a vehicle to serve the song and never to merely indulge himself. He will be missed.
Ah no! A teenage fan too and I still have all of their early albums. They were cool where I came from as nobody ever heard of them back then. I clearly remember my first time working in Dublin and the dingy flats I existed in. But all that was offset somewhat with a poster of Jimi on the crumbling wall and a tape of "Permanent Waves" to keep me company.
RIP Neil.....