Bluesound Node 2, advice?

Georgi

Bluesound Node 2, advice?

Post by Georgi »

Hi again,

I'm thinking to set a stereo system in the bedroom, if the missus approve, of course. :)
The issue is, how I can feed the signal to the amp. I want to listen Spotify. I saw recently, Bluesound Node 2, and kind off like it, don't know much about the quality of the sound or the DAC quality installed in it, but in general, it is what I'm after, as a concept.
Any advises or other suggestions, how would be the best way to do so, without loosing quality of the signal, would be much appreciated. :)
Diapason

Re: Bluesound Node 2, advice?

Post by Diapason »

I have a Bluesound Node II and I think it's great at what it does. Just works, no messing, app is fine, Spotify is hassle free, sounds good even using internal DAC and if you fancy delving into the world of MQA it supports that too.

Of course, if it's mainly Spotify you'll be listening to, I'd start with a Chromecast Audio. That's a great piece of kit for the money, I think I paid 19 Euro for mine and they get used daily. I can't comment on the quality of internal DAC there, however, as I've never tried it.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

Thanks for the replay. :)

About Chromecast, I'm not very familiar with devices like that, looks a bit cheap and I wonder, if the sound quality will be good enough? What about Hi Res files, would it be able to transmit FLACs and other lossless type of music files?
Yep, price wise is very good, but the rest, unknown area for me. :)
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I only really use the Chromecast for Spotify streaming where Hi Res questions don't really apply, but it says in the spec it can do 24/96. But yes, if you're thinking along those lines then the Chromecast might not the way forward. I'm also not sure how well it deals with streaming local files (I haven't tried that at all) whereas I can definitely confirm that the Bluesound does that with ease. Admittedly I get dropouts with hi res files over Wifi, but that's not a surprise given the fact that the router is a few thick walls away - I can barely read Tirnahifi on my phone in the mancave, so I'm surprised the Bluesound is able to cope with anything at all.

Obviously there are loads of other options out there, at varying levels of convenience, sound quality and audiophile cred. Cloney will at least be able to demo the Bluesound, so it's not a bad place to start. Best of luck!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

https://www.ieast.net/wp-content/upload ... 0_V1.0.pdf

wonder what that yoke is like
bout 110-130 e odd aka the m30

think you can just plug in a usb harddrive direct in too, as well as all the other nas streaming stuff
theres a lower spec version on amazon for 44 gbp called a m20 soundstream
https://www.amazon.co.uk/iEast-Soundstr ... stream+pro

dont know why but ordered a chromecast audio last night, probably to hear how bad it is
probably end up taking it apart

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/ ... o-w-tidal/

audiocast is another option to the chromecast audio although i dont think it does spdif out

have to imagine that if you invested in a good spdif dac and used one of these chromecast audio type devices as a digital source, it would be better than lots of stuff
Last edited by nige2000 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

Thanks for that nige2000. :)

I'll have to wait for your review on that Chromecast audio. :)

I was thinking as well, if I buy a good DAC, and just use some 'stupid' source to feed the signal, but the good DACs could be pricey.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Georgi wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:02 pm Thanks for that nige2000. :)

I'll have to wait for your review on that Chromecast audio. :)

I was thinking as well, if I buy a good DAC, and just use some 'stupid' source to feed the signal, but the good DACs could be pricey.
ha ha
dont be waiting on a good review, ive an aversion to streaming in general
i dont think real super duper "audiophile " quality is going to come out of these type of devices
my gripe mostly been the technology and parts used in the cheap devices dont differ too much from the more expensive devices

what might sound decent is the ones that play wav files from local storage like the m30 or the ones that can play from nas via ethernet cable
all these devices will undoubtedly sound better with a better power supply, and an external dac

in hindsight i should have ordered the ieast soundstream pro m30, give it a good power supply, took the ess9023 dac chip off and fed the i2s signal into my soekris dac
but might be not great either
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

A soundstream m20 arrived today
Was more impressed than I thought I'd be
Android app is great was easy to setup
Truck load of internet radio
Some of which sounds terribly compressed

Tidal spotify etc looked for subscription so I'm out and so dunno how that works
Stream from PC or mac worked great via iTunes and also best audio quality

Yes I did take it apart and it is not made of complete shit
Spdif is generated from the renound and Wolfson chip 8804?
Dac is ess9023
Truly a solid performer
The dac holds up well to the dac in my avi rs9 active monitors
Everything seems to work like clockwork
Which I suppose is a great attribute in a convenience device like this
Claus

Post by Claus »

I am looking to do something similar but I would prefer active speakers to avoid another device. Been looking at these
http://www.hifihut.ie/speakers/audioeng ... black.html
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

nige2000 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:25 pm A soundstream m20 arrived today
Was more impressed than I thought I'd be
Android app is great was easy to setup
Truck load of internet radio
Some of which sounds terribly compressed

Tidal spotify etc looked for subscription so I'm out and so dunno how that works
Stream from PC or mac worked great via iTunes and also best audio quality

Yes I did take it apart and it is not made of complete shit
Spdif is generated from the renound and Wolfson chip 8804?
Dac is ess9023
Truly a solid performer
The dac holds up well to the dac in my avi rs9 active monitors
Everything seems to work like clockwork
Which I suppose is a great attribute in a convenience device like this

Thanks for that, I did order one as well, just to see how bad is, as well. Will report at some later stage.

In the mean time, if someone want to depart with his Bluesound Node2, I can help him. :)