Any safe way of paying for the item from seller who does not accept PayPal?

Maciej

Any safe way of paying for the item from seller who does not accept PayPal?

Post by Maciej »

Hello. I have my eye on a set of speakers.

However as the seller is located abroad (Holland) and I am unable to travel there.
He does not accept PayPal payment, but only direct transfer on to his account.
Is there any other way of me paying for the item and be somehow protected in the case there was something wrong.
The speakers are advertised on National trade website, are well photographed, I also send and received few e-mails already. So far does not look like anything dodgy, but I would like you to know what would be best possible and safe way of dealing in situation like this.

Thanks for any recommendation.

Regards
Maciej
Diapason

Re: Any safe way of paying for the item from seller who does not accept PayPal?

Post by Diapason »

I've no specific advice on the financial transaction, but on the few occasions I've done this I feel better speaking to the seller by phone, talking through hifi stuff, and getting a sense of whether they're really "one of us". Even if you've no intention of going, ask if you can come and sample them at his house. Any signs of hesitation or evasion and I'd walk away.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
sima66

Post by sima66 »

The only way I would buy outside the PayPal, is if the seller has some excellent feedback!
Beside the PP, I don't think that there is any other "safe" way!

Good luck!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

I agree, I wouldn't feel comfortable with this. Certainly I would want to talk to the person directly. The only other option I could think of is to use an online escrow service, if he agreed to it. You would want to instigate it as I have heard of scams where the seller has pretended to instigate an escrow and then provided false links to the service.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

Hi All and thank you for your advice.

It’s not being advertised on any audio forum but on equivalent of our done deal or adverts so I can not verify his past dealings or history, and the guy is there for only few months. I am sure it’s known website to anyone looking for audio gear (MARKTPLAATS).

I probably pass this opportunity this time.

Thanks again
Maciej
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

If I were you, and if you really want these speakers, I would ask the seller if he's ready to accept PayPal if you take the fees at your charge.
Tubes & Vinyls are making life brighter..