Quad ESL63

tony

Quad ESL63

Post by tony »

I could have suggested any model for this question but it is one that I think looks fairly nice.
Now for my luddite question. Is it ok to power these with a solid state amp or will it just blow them up.
For instance mine is 70w per channel but if I was sensible with volume levels would that work.
Reason for the question is at some stage I might consider a pair and was hoping that if successful I could hold on to my existing gear and maybe at some stage in the future move onto a valveythingyinbob.
I did try looking around other forums to see if this question was answered before but didnt see anything
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
james

Re: Quad ESL63

Post by james »

I hate to say it 'It depends on the solid state amp' but that is actually the case.

Quad make their own solid state amps [33/303 44/405] whch of course should work.

Have a look at .. http://www.quadesl.org/Amplifiers/amplifiers.html

This gives a list of some amps that will work and also lists some to avoid [it is a bit dated].

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

In terms of the 70W bit - yes you will be fine. And I'd say everything should stay OK once you stay reasonable with the volume. The work the amp has to do with the 63s is much kinder than the work it would face with the 57s, so most SS amps should work fine.

With regard to the 57s (ie mine) the situation with SS amps is trickier. Some amps are fine with them, others really don't get on at all and the can cause the amps' protection circuitry to kick in (if it has any).

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
james

Post by james »

I think I was a bit unclear in my last post ...

a) The amp must be stable into an electrostatic load [some solid state amps are; some are not]
b) Of course if you apply too much power -- with any amp -- you can blow the speakers

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

all the above is true. I used 63s with solid state amps many times... even powerful pre/power combos and hybrids. They will work but there's no doubt that valves works better with Quads. As soon as the speakers arrive in your house the quest for a suitable valve amp will begin.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Derek

Post by Derek »

I used to drive mine with a GamuT D200, it worked very well.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Derek wrote:I used to drive mine with a GamuT D200, it worked very well.
and then you went for valves and never looked back.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tony

Post by tony »

thanks for all that guys.Seems it is possible, will have to try and get a test at some stage to see if it would work. It is long term thought on my part. I have heard a couple of quads at this stage and like what I here. I think if I had all this info last year I would have probably gone a different route but have cyrus kit now so will stick with it. But if I got the urge to change speakers at any stage I wanted to know if I could go for quads rather than the spendor etc.
Agree Ivor no doubt if I got quads the valve amp to suit wouldnt be long after it.

Pardon me I just woke up I am not allowed tolook at or buy anymore hifi stuff ever!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Dowser

Post by Dowser »

I have used an ML #29 (baby 50W) to drive both ESL 57 and 63s successful - I now use DIY valve hybrid monos, sounds much better...but the output stage is mosfets :)

You'd be welcome to pop your amp round to mine for a listen to it with 63s if it helps.

Richard
tony

Post by tony »

Thanks a lot definitely take you up on that Richard, at some stage in the next while.