A big 'LIKE' for Tower Records

Terry

A big 'LIKE' for Tower Records

Post by Terry »

Almost 14 months ago I bought a copy of Lyle Lovett's 'Release Me' on vinyl from Tower Records. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed that the fourth side of the double album was 45 rpm. My turntable could only muster a very precise 33 so I shrugged and enjoyed the tracks I could play. Many months later I fitted a Mose Hercules outboard power supply to the LP12. Big improvement with the sonics and - it brought both speeds. Got Lyle out to air that fourth side.

All looked good as the stylus touched down but only for a moment! There was a high spot which caused the cantilever and cartridge to bounce up and out of the groove and land anywhere else on the disc. Put it back in the sleeve and forgot about it. Hmmpf!

Yesterday, after spending a most enjoyable hour and a half at the first of The Listening Suite's classic vinyl Saturday mornings, I popped over to Tower for a browse and picked up a couple of bits and pieces. At the check out I mentioned the Lyle Lovett experience. No quibble from Manager Richie. He had one in stock and would happily exchange it. Very happy customer.
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
fergus

Re: A big 'LIKE' for Tower Records

Post by fergus »

Very reassuring to read that. Well done Tower! Happy customers = repeat business and recommendations to prospective customers.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That's most excellent to hear.

How was TLS morning?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Terry

Post by Terry »

Really enjoyed the morning Simon. Greeted with hot coffee and croissants. An original 1978 pressing of Dire Straits 'Down to the Waterline' was the feature album. Great to have David's technical insights on the recording and how it compared to later albums. 'Communiqué' really sparkled later in the session.

Kit used as follows:

Dynavector 10X5 cartridge
9” JMW Tonearm
VPI Scout 1.1 Turntable
Simaudio Moon 340i integrated amplifier with optional phono stage
Avantgarde Acoustic Duo Omega Speakers

ImageImage
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That sounds fab, and a wonderful idea too. Hope I make it to some of them.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Big "UNLIKE" for Tower Records
Went in yesterday to see their GREAT VINYL SALE - didn't realise the sale was limited to about 50 items.

Ended up buying a copy of the new Rory box for a buddy for Christmas. The only one on the shelf had the plastic all ripped. Asked if they had another in good condition. "NO!"
Then got that crazy "Do you want it or not?" question.

Took it, but won't be going back in a hurry (if ever)
Terry

Post by Terry »

TrickyDicky wrote:Big "UNLIKE" for Tower Records
Went in yesterday to see their GREAT VINYL SALE - didn't realise the sale was limited to about 50 items.

Ended up buying a copy of the new Rory box for a buddy for Christmas. The only one on the shelf had the plastic all ripped. Asked if they had another in good condition. "NO!"

Sorry to hear about your experience TD. I wouldn't have taken it... the box in that condition nor the abuse! Let them know.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Terry wrote:

Sorry to hear about your experience TD. I wouldn't have taken it... the box in that condition nor the abuse! Let them know.

I'd be the same "fuppin' keep it so!" and off around to Freebird.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Interestingly enough, that's just where I went :-)
Ivor wrote:
Terry wrote:

I'd be the same "fuppin' keep it so!" and off around to Freebird.