Recommendations for Liszt's Grande Études de Paganini please

Diapason

Recommendations for Liszt's Grande Études de Paganini please

Post by Diapason »

Who do we like here? You know I'm a fan of cool virtuosity so Hamelin and his ilk might not be a bad place to start. Modern sound a must...

Any suggestions?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Re: Recommendations for Liszt's Grande Études de Paganini pl

Post by Seán »

Hi Simon, I do not have any performances of Liszt's Grande Études de Paganini in my collection. If truth be told my Liszt collection amounts to eight cds as his music has never grabbed my interest.

I have searched through all the recommendations on the BBC CD Review list to no avail: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/radio3/class ... al1213.pdf

If I fail to get a recommendation from those I trust I will search for recordings by musicians I really admire and who never disappoint me, pianists like: Murray Perahia, Radu Lupu, Sviatoslav Richter, Clifford Curzon, András Schiff, Klára Würtz and the perfect Ms Clara Haskil (perhaps not for you though) but that too, proved to be a fruitless search.

There is, however, a recording available on amazon.co.uk by the highly regarded Alice Sara Ott: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grandes-Etudes- ... e+paganini

Sorry, I can't have been of any help, if you do take the plunge on Ms Ott's offering please let us know how you get on.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Re: Recommendations for Liszt's Grande Études de Paganini pl

Post by Diapason »

Thanks Sean. I've hardly any Liszt in my collection, but I'll keep you posted.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2