Your SINGLE biggest Hifi regret?

DaveF

Your SINGLE biggest Hifi regret?

Post by DaveF »

Easy one for me:
Getting those Kharmas that had the new Kevlar driver fitted. I should have insisted that the old ceramique driver be put back in. (Airtight ATM2 is a VERY close second. Sounded horrid at times with the Ushers and the Kharmas)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
sebna

Re: Your SINGLE biggest Hifi regret?

Post by sebna »

It must be Mytek 192 DSD dac. My ears still hurt when I think about it.

However a foray into native DSD world with Mytek was on the good side.
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
Terry

Post by Terry »

Snapping the cantilever off a Supex SD900 S cartridge. I'd only bought it a few weeks before. Lesson learnt.
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
mick

Post by mick »

Thanks to Noel Cloney I have never regretted any hifi purchase. Once after having a Sumiko BP Special fitted a cousin helping me take gear out of the car caught the stylus and broke it before even getting it into the house.
Seán

Post by Seán »

In 1979 I sold the first components of my first HiFi system: the A&R A60 integrated amplifier and a pair of Tangent TM3 speakers to a friend for £200 so that I could buy the Quad 33 (pre) and 405 (amplifier) to drive my new KEF104AB speakers. I was very happy with my new set up but I have always regretted having to sell my first amp and speakers to pay for the Quads.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

My only real regret is not keeping a closer eye on the visiting 3 year-old who took too much interest in a tweeter. I don't think I've ever regretted a purchase.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Diapason wrote:My only real regret is not keeping a closer eye on the visiting 3 year-old who took too much interest in a tweeter. I don't think I've ever regretted a purchase.
not even your turntable?
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

jaybee wrote: not even your turntable?
No, I believe my mother still uses it occasionally.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Happy to say no major regrets, I have enjoyed all my purchases and upgrades.

I would tend to look back with more nostalgia rather than with regret. With some things you have to just take the plunge and buy the item, as long as the expense is relatively low it is not really a big issue. Yep,,, there has been a few disappointments, mainly with small items such as a cartridge, but then it was only a few hundred euro so no big deal.

Ireland is just too small to have a owner / user of every different cartridge / amp / speaker out there... I have asked some Hi Fi shops for their opinion of some item, only to be told nobody knows.

How many users of Tannoy Turnburry speakers are there in Ireland? Even if there was a few... would they post up their opinions? So if you are contemplating Turnburry's you just have to either play it safe, don't buy them, stay conservative, keep within the equipment that everybody else has experience of... or take a jump into the unknown.

There is only one way to find out sometimes.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Very true, Adrian. I see on the wam that it's much easier to jump in over there, because if you don't like something you can pretty much always sell it on. That's a bit more difficult to do here to so the risk is greater.

You've reminded me about the GRAAF pre I bought. Everyone but everyone said it would be perfect, then I got it and really disliked it. No regrets, I had to know, and I was able to sell it to a very nice Slovenian gentleman who is delifhted to have it, but I wish it was a little less risky to make those kinds of leaps.