Valve Amp Repair

gunner14b

Valve Amp Repair

Post by gunner14b »

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Unison Research s6 from Audioemotion UK. The amp is about 10 years old. It sounded just great but smoke started coming out after about 30 mins. Needless to say, I quickly disconnected it.I contacted Gary at Audioemotion who was just brilliant . He organised a local guy in Booterstown here in Dublin to inspect and repair the unit. I was quite relieved to avoid sending the 26kg lump back to Scotland. My amp is now back in action and sounding just terrific. I am just adding this comment to commend Peter at: http://audiorepair.ie for his diligence and professionalism. Its just nice to now you can get your valve gear serviced or repaired right here in Dublin

regards

jc
Ivor

Re: Valve Amp Repair

Post by Ivor »

gunner14b wrote:Hi all,

I recently purchased a Unison Research s6 from Audioemotion UK. The amp is about 10 years old. It sounded just great but smoke started coming out after about 30 mins. Needless to say, I quickly disconnected it.I contacted Gary at Audioemotion who was just brilliant . He organised a local guy in Booterstown here in Dublin to inspect and repair the unit. I was quite relieved to avoid sending the 26kg lump back to Scotland. My amp is now back in action and sounding just terrific. I am just adding this comment to commend Peter at: http://audiorepair.ie for his diligence and professionalism. Its just nice to now you can get your valve gear serviced or repaired right here in Dublin

regards

jc
Thats' good to know, that's for the contact info.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Just tried Peters number and it rang out so hope he is still in action, will try again later.

One of my ArtAudio Maestro Mono blocks is throwing out noise through the speaker when the RCA is disconnected and even though it dissapears when the RCA is connected there is some junk coming back through the line through the DAC and back to the PC.

It causes booting issues when powered up and connected so some junk getting back through the ground I guess.

The other mono block does not have this issue so hopefully Peter can find the source of the noise and replace whatever component is at fault.
If it is one of the transformers going south then maybe time to start looking at new mono blocks.....
Cheers, Pearse.

Post by Rob »

Sligolad wrote:It causes booting issues when powered up and connected so some junk getting back through the ground I guess.

The other mono block does not have this issue so hopefully Peter can find the source of the noise and replace whatever component is at fault.
If it is one of the transformers going south then maybe time to start looking at new mono blocks.....
Cheers, Pearse.
Not an engineer myself but having had a few tube-based headaches myself, it sounds like it might be a ground issue rather than an output transformer. There may be a little switch on the rear of the monoblock that changes the earthing.