repair help!

Ivor

repair help!

Post by Ivor »

From the oul' "process of elimination" I think I need to replace the mini jack (plug) on my son's headphones. I did Google for instructions on how to do this but all I found were articles on how to replace the socket.
Any of you DIYers know of a fairly basic "how to" website? I suppose all I really need to know is which wires go where. Again I suppose I could follow the existing wiring.

Any ideas? Would replacing the entire cable (with presumably a moulded plug) be easier?
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Dowser

Re: repair help!

Post by Dowser »

Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Brilliant Richard, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

You can buy replacement plugs in maplin - or just cut a plug off another dead pair.

Beware the that wires inside will be fiendishly small, most likely are stranded, and may also be enamelled. Join like with like - you'll have to figure out which is ground and which is signal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jack_plug.png

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote:You can buy replacement plugs in maplin - or just cut a plug off another dead pair.

Fran
I'll try my local Peats first but they have trouble spelling hifi. Most likely a trip to Maplins in town is required. (sigh)

I've soldered these little feckers before and I'm not looking forward to it. Well actually I kinda am.

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Would you not have a minijack on something dead around the house that you could cut off and use?
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote:Would you not have a minijack on something dead around the house that you could cut off and use?
probably. I'll have a look around.

Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I have to say I'm a little wary of reusing a plug off old broken (cheap) earphones. There's always the risk that the plug was the problem in the first place!

When he goes back to school that kind of repair mightn't be robust enough to survive the school bag and bus trips anyway.

Sur' I'll see what I can find.

Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I was passing Peats in Dame Street at lunchtime and picked up a plastic mini-jack plug for €1

It came as great surprise to the guy working there that they had them (sigh)

Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I finally got around to fixing this (school holidays took away the urgency) and while fiddly it worked. Thanks to all. I give the repair 10 minutes. I'll put it this way... I haven't put my soldering iron away yet!