Devialet 170

KenMoran

Devialet 170

Post by KenMoran »

Hi - I've just been speaking to Ivan @ Cloney Audio and I understand that he has sold a few other Devialets over the last few months. Purpose of this topic is to share experiences - I've had my 170 since the middle of November.

What I would say is that, in my experience, this component takes a considerable time to run in - much more than any other component I've ever bought. So, if any new purchasers are feeling underwhelmed - don't panic! I reckon that it took somewhere between 150 and 200 hours to lose the "boxiness" and excessive highs that I found at the start. I spent weeks swapping cables and interconnects - don't bother. Just stick with it.

Currently feeding the coax digital input of the D170 from my modded Squeezebox Touch, via Nordost Purple Flare speaker cable to Linn Akurate 242 speakers. Not the ideal speakers, I would have to say (bass light), but a legacy from my all-Linn system that was replaced by the D170. Funds don't allow me to change them at the moment.

I guess the main impression of the D170 is extraordinary clarity, with very well controlled and tuneful bass - much more so than my passive tri-amped Linn stuff that is now gone.

Assuming it doesn't blow up, this is probably the last amplifier that I will buy - hopefully they'll implement uPnP support (so that I can remove my SBT from the chain) and room correction (so that I can tune my Akurate 242s for my room). Tried AIR - works OK - but don't want a PC as my source - it's a work device ....

ATB, Ken
Diapason

Re: Devialet 170

Post by Diapason »

I want one!!

I think the Devialet is a fantastic piece of equipment, though I'm just not quite ready to give up the valves. However, if they ever once do anything to annoy me again I'd say Devialet is my next port of call. Enjoy, Ken.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
block

Post by block »

I'm still thinking of getting a 110 or buying a Lampizator dac.

A member of the wam said he tried the devialet against his audio research setup with the dac and ended up getting the dac.

But I guess I can't go wrong with either one.
tony

Post by tony »

Devils in the detail you need to get the lampizator so we can all come over and have a critical listen.
What level Lampy are you thinking about?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
KenMoran

Post by KenMoran »

Personally, I don't believe all the hype with Devialet - I'm sure there are other great amps and DACs out there, not least the AR and Lampizator. I did consider the latter briefly, but I decided that I wanted to get rid of multiple boxes, power cables and interconnects, and still have decent sound.

I also drooled briefly over the Classe CP-800 (which I believe now supports streaming) and the idea of active speakers - but couldn't get the funds together to swap out my entire system at the same time. Demoed the Naim and Linn one-box offerings and came away somewhat nonplussed, so the D170 was pretty much the obvious choice.

The promise of future firmware upgrades coming down the line, its compact size (it sits under my TV - as opposed to a column of grey metal with lights blinking - like some kind of living room control tower ...), its configurability - all of these were the reasons I bought it. I suspect that if you're into vinyl, valves and horns, the Devialet isn't going to give you the sound you're after. If you're an inveterate box swapper, tube roller or cable tweaker, it's not for you either.

If you're into digital audio sources and convenience, well worth a listen.

ATB, Ken
block

Post by block »

tony wrote:Devils in the detail you need to get the lampizator so we can all come over and have a critical listen.
Thinking of the level 4 and even received an offer of a loaner if I can get a dev to compare with in my own house.

The seller says there's one in Ireland somewhere. Seems the seller is confident in it better than a dev.
Still I would hope he's wrong the dev really looks great and to only have one box is very appealing.
block

Post by block »

KenMoran wrote:Personally, I don't believe all the hype with Devialet - I'm sure there are other great amps and DACs out there, not least the AR and Lampizator. I did consider the latter briefly, but I decided that I wanted to get rid of multiple boxes, power cables and interconnects, and still have decent sound.

I also drooled briefly over the Classe CP-800 (which I believe now supports streaming) and the idea of active speakers - but couldn't get the funds together to swap out my entire system at the same time. Demoed the Naim and Linn one-box offerings and came away somewhat nonplussed, so the D170 was pretty much the obvious choice.

The promise of future firmware upgrades coming down the line, its compact size (it sits under my TV - as opposed to a column of grey metal with lights blinking - like some kind of living room control tower ...), its configurability - all of these were the reasons I bought it. I suspect that if you're into vinyl, valves and horns, the Devialet isn't going to give you the sound you're after. If you're an inveterate box swapper, tube roller or cable tweaker, it's not for you either.

If you're into digital audio sources and convenience, well worth a listen.

ATB, Ken
Ken you seem to think the same way as me.
Want something you can enjoy for many years without messing around with constant upgrades and what ifs.

But this is going to be a big upgrade financially for me and I want to get it right so I don't get the itch again.
KenMoran

Post by KenMoran »

block - I know what you mean, I was in exactly the same boat. If you're up in the Belfast area, you'd be very welcome to pop in and have a listen.

ATB, Ken
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

Hi,

I own lampi level 2.8 pre serial production model, which is really level 3 but could not be called this way for manufacturer/dealer relationship reason…if I am clear;)

If you’re not bothered by the appearance of it and inconvenience of using source switches at the back all the rest is fine. The DAC proved to be reliable so far and good sounding too. I tried briefly this DAC with Meitner DAC-more detail and focused than Lampi, April Eximus DAC and lesser MF M1DAC.

Lampizator sounds rich, full and warm but do not misunderstand me, there is detail too.
I wish I could try the Lampi with better than my system. So far I tried it with Eist Dubh speakers and it sounded really nice, due to Fran’s/Gerry speakers with increased amount of detail and focus.

Lampizator offers upgrades. Once you own the DAC you can send them back and ask to raise the level from 3 to 4 so on…… I already spoke with the guys and I am planning to do it sometime in near future.

Regards
Maciej
tony

Post by tony »

block wrote:
tony wrote:Devils in the detail you need to get the lampizator so we can all come over and have a critical listen.
Thinking of the level 4 and even received an offer of a loaner if I can get a dev to compare with in my own house.

The seller says there's one in Ireland somewhere. Seems the seller is confident in it better than a dev.
Still I would hope he's wrong the dev really looks great and to only have one box is very appealing.
Ah yes that is the one I think about also. THere is one in Ireland that I am aware of. Northern Ireland. Hope to get up to hear it soon. Is there one for sale secondhand? Curious if you would pm me the secondhand price. Maybe I am misreading your post and you are considering a new one?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.