Interesting quotes

Seán

Interesting quotes

Post by Seán »

Here's a good one by the late composer Mauricio Kagel:
“Not all musicians believe in God, but they all believe in Johann Sebastian Bach” (Mauricio Kagel)
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Peter

Re: Interesting quotes

Post by Peter »

Seán wrote:Here's a good one by the late composer Mauricio Kagel:
“Not all musicians believe in God, but they all believe in Johann Sebastian Bach” (Mauricio Kagel)
I believe in Bach!!!! @@

fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:

To believe in Bach is ultimately to believe in God....and there is not a religious bone in my body.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Peter

Post by Peter »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:

To believe in Bach is ultimately to believe in God....and there is not a religious bone in my body.

Nah!
I believe in Bach's music and his genius as a composer. Faith and music are two very different things in my book..... :)

fergus

Post by fergus »

Peter wrote: Nah!
I believe in Bach's music and his genius as a composer. Faith and music are two very different things in my book..... :)

I would have agreed many years ago but after 40 years of listening to the music of Bach it is what is behind the genius of both the music and the man that ultimately permeates you LOL!!!
Peter

Post by Peter »

fergus wrote:

I would have agreed many years ago but after 40 years of listening to the music of Bach it is what is behind the genius of both the music and the man that ultimately permeates you LOL!!!
Hmm, that is most likely a fact. However, just because religion is a motivation behind the creation of music one cannot necessarily imply that appreciation of such music makes one religious? Does listening and appreciating a specific composer mean that one agrees/comply with the driving forces behind the compositions (psychological/religious/political stances)? Bach is an amazing composer. I have mostly been a devotee of Bach played on the piano, but have started to explore the cantatas which is an amazing musical journey. I am still hesitant about the new Gardiner set (as I alread have three cycles) but everybody seems to rave about these interpretations. Any opinions on that one?
Seán

Post by Seán »

Peter wrote:
fergus wrote:

Hmm, that is most likely a fact. However, just because religion is a motivation behind the creation of music one cannot necessarily imply that appreciation of such music makes one religious? Does listening and appreciating a specific composer mean that one agrees/comply with the driving forces behind the compositions (psychological/religious/political stances)?
Most definitely not.
Bach is an amazing composer.
You won't find any argument with that statement.
I have mostly been a devotee of Bach played on the piano,
Beautiful music, Schiff and Perahia really do it for me.
but have started to explore the cantatas which is an amazing musical journey.
I am exploring them too.
I am still hesitant about the new Gardiner set (as I alread have three cycles) but everybody seems to rave about these interpretations. Any opinions on that one?
Over to you Fergus.........
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Simple....just buy it!!!
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Simple....just buy it!!!
Peter, Fergus oozes with passion for Gardiner's Bach and from what little I have heard of it, he's right.

When you have acquired Gardiner's you might want to consider Herreweghe's Bach too.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:Simple....just buy it!!!
Peter, Fergus oozes with passion for Gardiner's Bach and from what little I have heard of it, he's right.

When you have acquired Gardiner's you might want to consider Herreweghe's Bach too.
Does one really need four complete sets of the cantatas (five with Herreweghe)? I suspect that Fergus will say yes....... ; -)