High End Turntables

DaveF

High End Turntables

Post by DaveF »

Gents,

I have quite a bit of vinyl in my music collection hence I'm putting together a shortlist of turntables of which one I'll consider a purchase of in the coming months. It'll take me a couple of months to put a bit by for one but the idea is a TT that will last for quite some time and that is easily able to accommodate upgrades. Asthetics are quite important too which is why I'll rule out any of the SME and the Garrard decks. I know they are highly rated but I'm just not gone on the looks.

On the not so extensive list so far.....

Roksan Xerxes 20
Palmer 2.5

Has anyone listened to either of the above decks or have other recommendations?
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Fran
Site Admin

Re: High End Turntables

Post by Fran »

Brinkmann
Feickert
Kuzma

I think you need to carefully select turntable, arm cartridge and phonostage for top results.

But then maybe they all sound the same anyway :)

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Mitchell
Music Hall
VPI
Some of the high end Project decks would be worth considering too.

Clearaudio would have to be considered too but in my limited experience of them I've found them a little uninvolving. That could have been down to other factors too of course.

best of luck on the search, keep us updated.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ivor wrote: Clearaudio would have to be considered too but in my limited experience of them I've found them a little uninvolving. That could have been down to other factors too of course.
I considered them but unfortunately Clearaudio increased their prices by quite a bit in the last year or two so I think there are better alternatives to them for similar money. My old Clearaudio retailed at just over 2K when I bought it. Now its over 2,600E. Some of their higher end decks have had a jump in over 1K in their prices.

Avid and Nottingham Analogue are two I forgot about. I think cybot has one?
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Excellent topic Dave, thanks for the invite.

In my opinion personal taste is important, and of course style, pedigree count for a lot as well.

The Linn LP 12 is a good example, long legacy, well regarded TT, various upgrades available etc.

I listened to a Pink Triangle recently, super deck, with a excellent Clearaudio cart, most impressive. However as somebody has already mentioned... the phonostage is vital. Good news is that there is lots of choice, but some snaps below,,,, which tickle my tummy.....

Project

Thorens TD 350

Thorens TD 550

Clearaudio Performance DC

And just to be sure .... to be sure one simple phono stage...

Audio Research..

Let the Good Times Roll...................
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Cheers Adrian. To be honest none of the above appeal to me from an asthetics point of view. If I'm going to shelling out this much for a TT it must look the dogs danglies! :-)

Top of the pile for me at the moment are these......

Ivor

Post by Ivor »

DaveF wrote:Cheers Adrian. To be honest none of the above appeal to me from an asthetics point of view. If I'm going to shelling out this much for a TT it must look the dogs danglies! :-)

Top of the pile for me at the moment are these......
the Roksan is a beaut, my old one still gives sterling service... Mind you the Palmer is really gorgeous too...
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Agreed, that Roksan is particularly beautiful, and is that a Roksan arm, or is it by some other party?

The counter weight looks similar to one I saw on another TT. The counterweight appears to be pivoted on the arm, so that as the arm goes up and down vertically, the counterweight always hangs vertically.

I could be wrong... but that's the way it seems in the photo.

Any particular colour you are leaning towards Dave?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I'm back having answered my own question... yep it appears to be a Roksan Artemiz Tonearm...

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Not sure what arm is on that Roksan. I just pulled that pic off Google images.

Hand on heart I think I'd go for the Palmer however its a good bit more expensive than the Roksan. But Roksan have the history and pedigree so tough choice. If it were the Roksan, I'd go for the red colour. I think it would look well alongside the chrome finish of the Devialet.
Anyway I'll have a look at other TTs too as it will be a few months before I can even begin to think about a purchase.