Headphone Amps

tony

Headphone Amps

Post by tony »

looking at a meier corda cantate.2 on the web. Has a dac seems well made and gets good reviews. I have looked at some of the diy stuff mentioned here but not at the races in relation to taking that option.
Hope to get a pair of senn hd650's shortly as finding listening to music loud at night is difficult.
Really havent the foggiest about this route. Looking at some of the posts I checked out little dot but seems to be difficult to get and coming from china puts me off taking a chance on that route.
Tempted by the notion of a valve amp but no experience whatsoever.
Anybody got some info on the above or other routes that might be more sensible.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
paulb

Re: Headphone Amps

Post by paulb »

tony have a look here, they are in France post shouldn't be too much and they have a good selection of headphones amps.http://www.audiophonics.fr/headphone-am ... 0_354.html
paulb

Post by paulb »

also in case you want to try my grado 325 you are welcomed to borrow them
Fifthgear

Post by Fifthgear »

Hey

DOnt be affraid to order from china. I had some experience ordering from China and HOnk Kong. I got some Audiophile Caps an binding posts. Got them both within 12 days with no problems. If you buy on ebay you money are safe:)
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

paulb wrote:tony have a look here, they are in France post shouldn't be too much and they have a good selection of headphones amps.http://www.audiophonics.fr/headphone-am ... 0_354.html
Nice site that... reasonable prices too.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tony

Post by tony »

Thanks Paul still using the sa1530's i got of you last summer they are in use in my second system.
That french site is a great link.I had searched online but never came across it. Thanks also for offer re grado's,I have no headphone amp at the moment so no real way of testing them but might come back to you on that. The hd650's are only €267 in komplett which I think is a very good price. It looks like sennheiser have a new model out the HD800 but that seems to be in a different league altogether.
From any review I have read the hd650's should be very good and huge step up from my previousl lugs 30odd year old yamahas.

Anybody have little dots? I quiet fancy the meier as it also has the dac.(to be honest a couple of months ago a dac to me was a snobby way of expressing the fact that one had a deck in ones back garden.)

China bit doesnt worry me if I had listened to the item before purchase. I wouldnt be as bothered if I got a solid state but I want to try and here a valve amp before I considered jumping.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tony

Post by tony »

Also spotted a set of akg701's and they seem to get very good reviews also. Badly need a shop that has all 3 (grado,senn and akg) for comparison.
fergus

Post by fergus »

tony wrote:....to be honest a couple of months ago a dac to me was a snobby way of expressing the fact that one had a deck in ones back garden....
LOL....excellently put. Good luck with the hunt!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
tony

Post by tony »

Hi Fergus.As you can see I have given up on the spendors.(for the moment) Looks like i can get more bang for my few bucks using this route.
Whereabouts are you? might take the hendrix album if still available.
fergus

Post by fergus »

The Spendors can come later Tony if and when funds and the opportunity arise....it probably makes good sense to go down the road that you are pursuing at the moment.

I live in Blackrock, not too far from the Cloney shop.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra