Blade Runner

block

Blade Runner

Post by block »

Hi guys

Just thinking to myself there, I've been to a hifi shop in Scotland during the early 90s and the guy there put on blade runner the end credits I think and it sounded amazing and exciting.

It was a pair of ruarks with the front slanting upwards and I think the amp was a pink triangle not too sure.
The ruarks was along a line of other speakers as well so not in a dedicated room and I remember to this day the sound of those drums.

Admittedly I don't upgrade much along the years but I never managed to reproduce those drums, they sounded so life like and I was wondering how that song is on other members' systems.

(could be my memory dressing things up)
Rocker

Re: Blade Runner

Post by Rocker »

The phrase blade runner is associated in my mind with Oscar Pistorius the South African double amputee who competed in the Olympics and Paralympics. He is in the news for other reasons at the present time but his track achievements are without peer in modern sport. IMHO of course.

The Ruarks you refer to might be Crusader or Crusader 11. I had a pair and they were 'pretty good'. I traded them in to Cloneys in Blackrock, a phone call to Ivan might be useful. Hope this helps.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Claus

Post by Claus »

Just played the End Credits on my surround system from the Blade Runner Complete Collectors Edition Blu-Ray Disc. But the drums are nothing special on that track so I am not sure if this is the track you mean?
cybot

Post by cybot »

Has anyone heard the new vinyl reissue?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote:Has anyone heard the new vinyl reissue?
This is what I was about to post.. well that the new vinyl copy (I don't think it was on vinyl before) is claimed to be a far better production that the CD which I always thought was a bit crappy in sound quality. Amazing music yes but the actual production, mastering or recording wasn't great at all.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:
cybot wrote:Has anyone heard the new vinyl reissue?
This is what I was about to post.. well that the new vinyl copy (I don't think it was on vinyl before) is claimed to be a far better production that the CD which I always thought was a bit crappy in sound quality. Amazing music yes but the actual production, mastering or recording wasn't great at all.
Yes, you're right Ivor, it wasn't ever released on vinyl before. But.....a couple of tracks did appear on a compilation of other released and unreleased stuff. I think it was called 'Themes'. And that End Credits track is actually the very first track. Anyway I remember picking it up on gatefold single Lp one time in Belfast. The next time we went up I had my friend Ivan with me who is an absolute Vangelis nut and guess what? He picked up the very last copy of the same album.....but this time spread over four sides. Lucky b#####d ;) Incidentally I forgot to say that the sound is very low notch....
block

Post by block »

Strange, must've been my first taste of good hifi at the time and it was played pretty loud too but my brother was there also I guess our memory of it is clouded by time.

Yeah End Credits was the track.......all these years I just put it down to the need of really high end equipment to reproduce it and the luck of the synergy of the dealers euipment at the time as I remember it wasn't out of my reach at the time.

Love that track they should remaster it, always love when a good system reproduces analogue synths that are almost tangible in front of you.
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

Funny, I have the 3 cd version of the soundtrack which I like a lot and the end credits sound really good to me.

The new vinyl release is on audio fidelity and I have seen it on sale in Tower and Freebird, which is unusual for an audiophile label release. I think it is attractive because it has been long out of print. I remember seeing a vinyl copy of the soundtrack in the eighties!!!

This edition has been mastered by Kevin Gray from digital files ( 24/96 ) and not the original master tapes ( I may be wrong on the resolution rates but details are available on the AF including a short video of Kevin mastering the release).