Seán

A question for you on Gardiner's Beethoven

Post by Seán »

Is there any difference - other than price - between this set:
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0033QC ... d_i=405320

and this one:
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B000005 ... d_i=405320

I'd expect not, but just to be sure....
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Re: A question for you on Gardiner's Beethoven

Post by fergus »

It doesn't seem that there is any difference Seán other than the first one seems to be some sort of "Collector's Edition". In relation to the sellers they have low customer ratins. However I have bought a few discs in the past from "the book depository" seller and I have had no problem so I can recommend them.

I do not know how good your French is Seán but be aware on the second option that with seller "Fratello" the 2nd disc is missing from the set do avoid that one!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:It doesn't seem that there is any difference Seán other than the first one seems to be some sort of "Collector's Edition". In relation to the sellers they have low customer ratins. However I have bought a few discs in the past from "the book depository" seller and I have had no problem so I can recommend them.

I do not know how good your French is Seán but be aware on the second option that with seller "Fratello" the 2nd disc is missing from the set do avoid that one!!
Thanks for that Fergus I do appreciate it. I have ordered a copy of the cycle from Moviemars..........it will probably arrive just in time for Christmas. By the way I love the Vanska Beethoven cycle.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

No problem at all Seán....I look forward to your comments on JEG.

Would you be able to put a few words together to attempt to describe the Vanska cycle....I am tempted but not entirely convinced as I have not heard a lot from Vanska other than on the radio.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

The first one is a rerelease I think. Decca have being releasing a lot of cycles in similar packages recently.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:No problem at all Seán....I look forward to your comments on JEG.

Would you be able to put a few words together to attempt to describe the Vanska cycle....I am tempted but not entirely convinced as I have not heard a lot from Vanska other than on the radio.
Okay, I will do that. I will report back.