The An Garda Siochana computer virus

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Rocker

The An Garda Siochana computer virus

Post by Rocker »

My computer has been locked by what is known as The Garda Siochana virus. Google for more info, but do not pay. I am taking the PC to a computer repair guy tomorrow as advised by the Gardai when I contacted them about this. The Gardai are aware of this computer virus which locks the PC and displays an official looking message with Interpol and other logos. Do not pay up!

I am typing this on my iPad, I googled the Garda virus and found a lot of information.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Ivor

Re: The An Garda Siochana computer virus

Post by Ivor »

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Oh, your computer has the "blue Flu"?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Steve

Post by Steve »

My PC was also struck down by the Garda virus last night. Checked a few google links via laptop and there seems to be a few computer repair places quite willing to sort your woes for about €49. Checked a few more links and realised that it's pretty easy to sort without professional help..

Just as the laptop starts to boot, press F8 a few times and interrupt the boot sequence. Should be given an option to boot in safe mode which will then allow you to finish booting using system restore files from an earlier date I.e. before the virus hit..

Worked a treat for me. Takes few mins to complete the boot but no data files are lost and all back to normal. Was cheerfully surprised that Microsoft had sorted me out so easily...
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Nice work Steve. I read a few postings on how to remove this virus but it started to read as a bit geeky so I left the computer in a repair shop in town. Should be ready tomorrow....

Beware of a thin chef!
Alltheyoungdudes

Post by Alltheyoungdudes »

I had this virus last summer. Very annoying. Got a friend of mine who knows about these things to fix it for me - it only cost me four cans of beer!
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Collected the computer yesterday. Seemingly there are two ways of removing this virus, the easy way and the hard way. Mine needed the second option. A reformat of the hard drive! The repair guy installed Windows 7 and Google Chrome. The combination works faster than it did even if I have to learn how to do simple things again....

Got most of my applications working now.

Beware of a thin chef!