Speakers

Adrian

Speakers

Post by Adrian »

Rather than starting a particular thread.. I thought a generic one on speakers would be best.

I have just found out that a acquaintance of mine has nabbed a pair of Tannoy Turnberry SE speakers, image below

To my eyes they look absolutely stunning... a real work of craftsmanship, like a piece of furniture commanding attention. Unfortunately I have never heard these units... in fact I have never heard them mentioned on here...anybody got them on here?

On another speaker... I was in Cloney's a few weeks back.... they had a 20 year old pair of Sonus Faber's Guarneri speakers

What a beauty!! Not sure who took them... but there were in mint condition.... oh man....oh man...

Those Sonus Fabers seem to have a certain appeal for certain music.... certainly classical I would think.

Anybody any thoughts about these or other speakers?
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Ivor

Re: Speakers

Post by Ivor »

Adrian wrote:
I have just found out that a acquaintance of mine has nabbed a pair of Tannoy Turnberry SE speakers, image below

...anybody got them on here?
I wish. I've always had a soft spot for Tannoys. Not always because they sounded accurate (they often didn't) but they sounded lovely
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I've never heard those big Tannoys but I know they have quite a following. I'm guilty of judging that book by its cover, and I imagine I know what they sound like, even though I probably don't!

As for the SFs, they're much more my cup of tea. I heard a pair in the shop a few years ago and thought they were gorgeous. You know they must be something when your wife is trying to justify the purchase for you! I'd love to hear the Amatis and the Strads...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
tony

Post by tony »

I knew very little about tannoys until recently. I thought they were just cheap bookshelf speakers made in china. From dealing with some guys in the uk and posting on wigwam a bit there is a strong following in the uk. Warm,soft but seem to produce what is regarded as a magical sound. I think the model you posted are gorgeous Adrian. the appearance to me is like real speakers should look like.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Sonus Faber are the only speakers that really trigger the want response in me....

specifically, the Amati....

I saw and heard these with Noel...... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Had the pleasure of hearing the Tannoy Turnberrys at the Scalford show this year and the sounded excellent and not expensive if I remember correctly.

Top sound at the show was from a large pair of Snell Speakers but second and third were Tannoys, I was amazed at what they could do!

Post by Diapason »

Would you be tempted, Pearse? ;)
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

I would definitely be tempted Simon if I had to go to a smaller room and the Quads had to go, hopefully not!!!

Post by Diapason »

A question I've been mulling over recently is whether speakers have improved much in recent years. I haven't kept abreast of new hifi that much, so I find myself lusting after speakers that were highly rated when I was a teenager. It's hard to know how they would compare to the current crop of hifi magazine darlings. Obviously some designs are classics (Quads and Tannoys are great examples) but I wonder about speakers from the 80s and 90s.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I think there's been a lot of trickle down - in that there are many inexpensive speakers now that sound pretty good. I do think the higher end ones are better now (so things are advancing) but it's in that sub €2k bracket that the biggest improvement is evident

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try