valves 12ax7, 12au7 and pair of EL 84s

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
Maciej

valves 12ax7, 12au7 and pair of EL 84s

Post by Maciej »

Hello guys,

I have on loan nice headphone amplifier until end of this month. Cayin HA-1

I was wondering if any of you have decent collection of valves I could borrow for while (weekend perhaps or 1 week) to prove all excellent reviews for this amp are right ;) I am not entirely happy with current set.
I am looking for some single 12ax7, 12au7 and pair of EL 84s to try. Some choice of each would be perfect!

I can use my passport or pay some cash for deposit, whatever you prefer.
Perhaps there is something you would like to sell…?

Let me know please.

Thanks
Maciej
Fran
Site Admin

Re: valves 12ax7, 12au7 and pair of EL 84s

Post by Fran »

I'll have a root around here - I would definitely have some EL84 (russian) and probably some EI 12ax7/au7.

Let me check, but they'd be nothing fancy....

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I'd be the sane as Fran, odds & ends in a drawer. That said there's are some good NOS ones and they should be matched. Give me a day or two.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

Thanks

Nothing fancy in your back yard shop might be real treasure Fran I guess, check it out please and let me know.

I often find unimpressive things by the look (Croft stuff) or reviews (mainly they are all excellent in these days) or whatever are better than others, like cables for example. I was spending (in my world) good amount of money on branded cables and end up selling them and buying after listening my friend interconnects from Blue Jeans cables. They cost nothing and sound amazing.

Take your time Ivor, whenever you can.

Regards
Maciej
Vorious

Post by Vorious »

I may have a few valves that would do you also, I'll have a look around & let you know.

I definitely have 6550 & KT88's but I'm almost certain I had some spare gold pinned Electro Harmonix input valves from my Lumleys that were 12au's
tony

Post by tony »

Ivor wrote:I'd be the sane as Fran, odds & ends in a drawer. That said there's are some good NOS ones and they should be matched. Give me a day or two.
What does this hidden stash contain? I may need to window shop
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I have sylvania (baldwin green rebadged) 12AX7, EI 12AX7, EI 12AU7 and some russian 6P14P - extended life EL84s from Russia - Reflektor/Saratov.

Shoot me a pm or call if you want to try any of them...

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

Hi Fran,

Thanks for the valves, I’ll call you early next week. I am really curious about the findings as those valves were used in Baldvin organs and were made by Sylvania according to what I found out.

I wonder if their design with intention to be used in organs is reflected in their performance, good midrange quality perhaps.

I was able to source some Brimars and Tungsrams so with the choice of those plus what I get from Fran and some current stock I’ll have enough choice to become probably little bit confused. I do not want to end up like if I was in cosmetics shop trying to choose some fragrance and after smelling too many lose sense of smell completely!
So thanks Ivor and Vorious, I hope you did not turn your home upside down.

Tony,

The headphones need soo much time. I know there are people who do not believe in burning in or braking in time of various devices, but I’ve never listened anything like AKG’s that sounded and still does soo awful, horrible. I leave my home now for work and keep playing nonstop some weird noises to them for last couple of days so I hope at the end they give up and open up....already some changes were noticed!

Regards
Maciej
tony

Post by tony »

Hi Maciej, Are these new headphones? If they are you need to run them constantly for a long period of time to burn them in. AKG's are notorious in requiring ages to open up. I played mine over night with the cdp on repeat just to burn in. Can't remember how long I spend doing this but google it and you will get a benchmark requirement. Fran has offered you some valves maybe try and blag a listen to his and his HD's if they are still there. Personally I preferred the AKG sound. You can just hear everything crystal clear.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.