Another visit to the fountain of knowledge...

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Rocker

Another visit to the fountain of knowledge...

Post by Rocker »

After a total hard disk failure on my computer, I am now up and running, to some extent, and need advice and guidance on the following:

I need a freeware/low cost MS Word compatible Word Processor and a freeware/low cost Excel compatible spreadsheet.

My computer was ex my office so it had the Microsoft Office suite already installed. I estimate that I used about 2% of the capabilities of MS Office, I don't need all the links and scheduling applications, so simple is the way forward from now on. I prefer not to pay for software that I will never use and Microsoft is big enough as it is anyway. But if good non MS applications cost a few Euro, then so be it.

You guys have in the past suggested AVG and CCleaner, both installed, so any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks again.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Ivor

Re: Another visit to the fountain of knowledge...

Post by Ivor »

I used to use Open Office and it worked well. It's been a while but I imagine it's only gotten better.

http://www.openoffice.org/download/
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Ivor wrote:I used to use Open Office and it worked well. It's been a while but I imagine it's only gotten better.
OpenOffice has been a bit unloved since Sun (which had sponsored OpenOffice development) was taken over by Oracle in 2010 and donated Open Office to Apache in 2011. Most of the community have moved to LibreOffice which forked from OpenOffice in 2010 and is updated frequently.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Thanks Ivor & Ciaran. I have installed OpenOffice and it works fine. It will do all I want anyway.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!