Gergiev will leave LSO in 2016

Seán

Gergiev will leave LSO in 2016

Post by Seán »

The London Symphony Orchestra, in a statement just released to Slipped Disc, has accepted that Valery Gergiev will not be their principal conductor beyond 2016. The relationship remains warm and he will continue to work with them in the future but no longer as chief conductor.
He has other ambitions in mind from 2015, apparently the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra – though his people won’t say anything about that until the city council has met on Wednesday to ratify his appointment.
The news comes as a bit of a shock for the LSO, which may account for the brevity of their statement. But they have plenty of time to choose a successor and have run through the cream of Gergiev’s repertoire since he was appointed in 2005. Who’s next?

LSO statement:
The LSO has an excellent relationship with Valery Gergiev and we have ambitious plans through to the 2015/2016 season and beyond across the world. He is contracted as Principal Conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra until the end of 2015.
We cannot comment on any other plans which Valery Gergiev may have. What is clear, is that his relationship with the LSO is strong and it will sustain, just as has been the case for the LSO with other conductors such as Sir Colin Davis, Michael Tilson-Thomas and André Previn.
http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/ ... -move.html
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Re: Gergiev will leave LSO in 2016

Post by Seán »

Herr SSRattle to take over at the LSO perhaps?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Seán wrote:Herr SSRattle to take over at the LSO perhaps?
Although that sounds intriguing I am sure I have read that Rattle has had a rocky time on the London scene over the years. That said, he has been doing the odd guest slot with the LSO over the past couple of years. I was glancing at another UK forum and they seem well informed enough to put a convincing case forward for Rattle to move into a US orchestra (Boston, I think). I guess this is all speculation, but fun nonetheless. I count the LSO as 'my' orchestra in the same way I see Ajax as 'my' football team, so I would be welcoming of a Rattle appointment. I have seen them perform with Gergiev, Davis, Haitink and Harding and I'm afraid Gergiev's concerts did the least for me...
Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote: I count the LSO as 'my' orchestra in the same way I see Ajax as 'my' football team...
not a tractorboy then, Darren?
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Jared wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote: I count the LSO as 'my' orchestra in the same way I see Ajax as 'my' football team...
not a tractorboy then, Darren?
I have been, but I am no longer...