Philippe Jaroussky and Purcell - what a surprise

Seán

Philippe Jaroussky and Purcell - what a surprise

Post by Seán »

I have to confess that I know Philippe Jaroussky by name only. He is singing here with another counter-tenor. I LOVE his voice I can hardly hear his accomplice. This is Purcell with a twist, what do you make of it? Don't shoot me I am only the messenger.

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jose Echenique

Re: Philippe Jaroussky and Purcell - what a surprise

Post by Jose Echenique »

Philippe Jaroussky is an immensely charismatic and marvelous "sopranista" (his voice is so high, that maybe we have to find another way to call him other than a countertenor). I France he is a big celebrity, as big as Kennedy once was in the UK. But he is also an important singer, you may remember that I singled out his recording of Artaserse as the finest operatic recording of 2012.
This video is taken from the 10th anniversary concert of Le Concert d´Astrée at the Théatre des Champs-Elysées in Paris. You can see the beautiful Emmanuelle Haïm conducting. They diverted from Purcell obviously for fun.
The complete concert is here:

Seán

Re: Philippe Jaroussky and Purcell - what a surprise

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:Philippe Jaroussky is an immensely charismatic and marvelous "sopranista" (his voice is so high, that maybe we have to find another way to call him other than a countertenor). I France he is a big celebrity, as big as Kennedy once was in the UK. But he is also an important singer, you may remember that I singled out his recording of Artaserse as the finest operatic recording of 2012.
This video is taken from the 10th anniversary concert of Le Concert d´Astrée at the Théatre des Champs-Elysées in Paris. You can see the beautiful Emmanuelle Haïm conducting. They diverted from Purcell obviously for fun.
The complete concert is here:

Jaroussky does have an extraordinary voice and I am surprised at how much I like listening to him, the diversion into a piece by Stan Kention really did tickle my fancy. I have to agree with you: Emmanuelle Haïm is a beautiful sight to behold.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler