Brucker 9 Finale Reconstruction 2012

Dane

Brucker 9 Finale Reconstruction 2012

Post by Dane »

Just for information, a performing edition score of the Finale of Bruckner’s 9 has been published. This comes from the SPCM syndicate and was recorded by Simon Rattle with the BPO a couple of months ago.

What’s frightening is that with an unusually exuberant overflow, reviewers/critics have accepted it without question as to its authority, scholarship, sources or any such thing. Cohrs from the syndicate released notes and score extracts at the time of score publication but they‘re weren‘t available when the recording was released.

As for the recording, I wasn’t too happy. Has anyone here heard it? Rattle may be Rattle but that doesn’t give him a magic wand and he has yet to prove himself among the extensive competition with this classical repertoire. Among reviews there are those who cannot laud Rattle and the BPO enough; and the inevitable complainers like me. Rattle paces the work well enough but balances the orchestra in favour of the brass. It obliterates some of the lines here and there.

But what’s worrying is the acoustic. I understand that the Philharmonic Hall has given EMI trouble catching live recordings before which might account for the stodgy sort-of sound. (I posted earlier about EMI’s Klemperer/Bruckner recordings that in spite of coming from the 60s have a beauty of sound absent in this recording. It's rough.)

The SPCM isn’t the only Finale reconstruction and isn’t one I’d choose. But here’s his document.
http://www.abruckner.com/articles/artic ... sB9finale/