Bruckner Klemperer

Dane

Bruckner Klemperer

Post by Dane »

Just to let everyone know if you haven't spotted it already: the remastered Bruckner recordings are here. Klemperer with Bruckner isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but his kind of granite style with the great majesty of these renderings come over well. I have come to admire him greatly.

But….I had hints that these remasterings were done by Yoshio Okazaki, originally released on Toshiba’s HQCD series. Reviews so far suggest otherwise (or don‘t even bother to comment on the provenance). A great shame as it would have given enthusiasts truly wonderful recordings. Having the Toshiba issues (except the 4th) I haven’t bought this set so I’m not in a position to comment. I’ll borrow it from the library in due time.
By dint of clever marketing EMI/Toshiba led us to think they would never appear in the UK. They may have been telling the truth. So the point is, until the thing is clarified, treat this set with caution, not expecting the Japanese remasters.

(I’ve never been happy with his destruction of the 8th Finale. There is but one recording of him conducting the whole movement and it’s every bit as magisterial as his other readings, so why, just to clip out about 5 minutes’ worth?)

Seán

Re: Bruckner Klemperer

Post by Seán »

Klemperer's recording of the Sixth is magnificent.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Dane

Re: Bruckner Klemperer

Post by Dane »

I have to confess it's the only one I listen to these days. A majestic sound indeed.