Sky dish issue, what's the best plan?

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Diapason

Sky dish issue, what's the best plan?

Post by Diapason »

Apparently some inclement weather has had an effect on our Sky dish, and the cables (which used to be taped to the mountings) have come loose. This happened before, but back then the dish was still under warranty so Sky sorted it. This time they want €100 to send an "engineer" out, but here's the kicker: our dish is mounted on our chimney stack and everything I've read and heard suggests that Sky's installers are no longer allowed to go up there.

I'm trying to figure out the best plan of attack. I'm 99% sure that all that's required is a reseating of the cables into the LNB on the dish, and then taping them up again to stop them jiggling free. If I had any kind of balls I'd just get on the roof and do it myself, but I don't so I won't. Should I just suck it up and pay Sky whatever they want, safe in the knowledge that they're going to insist on installing a new dish elsewhere? Should I try to find a local installer who might be willing to do it, or would this be unlikely to work out any better in the long run anyway? Should I do the "I'm cancelling" thing with Sky and see what they offer me?

Anyone any thoughts?

PS Advice to forget about Sky and just go Saorview/freesat is taken as read.
PPS Advice to stop watching TV and listen to more music is also taken as read!! :)
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
jadarin

Re: Sky dish issue, what's the best plan?

Post by jadarin »

Sky just chance their arm with the €100 call out charge.I've used the "i'm cancelling" line any time i've had problems like yours with my sky dish,just tell them your not paying the call out charge and put you on to the cancelling department.It's amazing how quick your problem will be sorted.I think it takes 31 days for the cancellation to come into effect anyway,so if it doesn't work out for you can always ring back and tell them you've decided to stay with them.While your onto the cancellation department ask for any special offers they can give you as you are a valued customer.Just be patient on the phone as sky have alot of muppets working for them..
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ta!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:Apparently some inclement weather has had an effect on our Sky dish, and the cables (which used to be taped to the mountings) have come loose. This happened before, but back then the dish was still under warranty so Sky sorted it. This time they want €100 to send an "engineer" out, but here's the kicker: our dish is mounted on our chimney stack and everything I've read and heard suggests that Sky's installers are no longer allowed to go up there.

I'm trying to figure out the best plan of attack. I'm 99% sure that all that's required is a reseating of the cables into the LNB on the dish, and then taping them up again to stop them jiggling free. If I had any kind of balls I'd just get on the roof and do it myself, but I don't so I won't. Should I just suck it up and pay Sky whatever they want, safe in the knowledge that they're going to insist on installing a new dish elsewhere? Should I try to find a local installer who might be willing to do it, or would this be unlikely to work out any better in the long run anyway? Should I do the "I'm cancelling" thing with Sky and see what they offer me?

Anyone any thoughts?

PS Advice to forget about Sky and just go Saorview/freesat is taken as read.
PPS Advice to stop watching TV and listen to more music is also taken as read!! :)
Drat!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Seán wrote: Drat!
It was actually you I was thinking of, Seán!!
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Use cable ties rather than tape to secure the cables.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

I have a spare Lidl/SliverCrest Dish /Double LNB which you might be able to mount on another location, check http://www.dishpointer.com/ . You're welcome to have it gratis.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That's very kind thanks, Ken, although I'm now sorted so won't need to take you up on you on your offer. I rang the company who installed my HD box, the receptionist got the measure of the situation after a brief chat and, long story short, one of their engineers called over this evening to see what was what. He confirmed that we were getting signal but it was crap. When he popped up onto the roof it was clear why, and it was nothing to do with loose cables:

So, he replaced the dish and the charge for everything was a good bit less than Sky were looking for as a call out charge. Very happy, and now I'll be getting onto Sky and looking for a reduction in fees, which I've been meaning to do for ages anyway.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

I've an extra set of balls you can try I'd you like....

I found mine a little boomy and very sensitive....
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....