Opinions sought on Gardiner's Bach recordings on DG & Decca

Seán

Opinions sought on Gardiner's Bach recordings on DG & Decca

Post by Seán »

There is a large box set of Bach's sacred music for sale in Tower for less than €60. It contains about 22 CDs and has sacred music from Gardiner's older recordings with DG & Decca.
For example,
Christmas Oratorio, BWV 248
Easter Oratorio, BWV 249
Magnificat in D, BWV 243
Mass in B minor, BWV 232
St John Passion, BWV 245
St Matthew Passion, BWV 244

Do you think that the set is worth getting at that price?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Re: Opinions sought on Gardiner's Bach recordings on DG & Decca

Post by fergus »

Yes!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:Yes!
An insightful recommendation there Fergus! :-P
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

LOL!!!

What did Seán expect me to say on that one!!

Seriously, though, I have not come across a single dud performance of JSB by Gardiner yet.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:LOL!!!

What did Seán expect me to say on that one!!

Seriously, though, I have not come across a single dud performance of JSB by Gardiner yet.
I expected you to answer in the affirmative. I just wanted to be sure as it is a lot of money for a box set of entirely religious music so I just wanted to be sure, to be sure. As you can probably guess the question is really aimed at both you and Ciaran. Does Ciaran visit us regularly now I wonder? The set contains almost a dozen CDs of sacred cantatas. Do you have many of Gardiner's Bach recordings that were released on DG & Decca?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:There is a large box set of Bach's sacred music for sale in Tower for less than €60. It contains about 22 CDs and has sacred music from Gardiner's older recordings with DG & Decca.
For example,
Easter Oratorio, BWV 249
Magnificat in D, BWV 243
Mass in B minor, BWV 232
St John Passion, BWV 245

Seán, the ones that I have highlighted are the ones that I own along with many of the Cantatas in the set.

In relation to the music one either likes it or one doesn't....only you can decide that, obviously.

In relation to the performances I can assure you that you will find them hard to beat. My bias towards Gardiner is well known so that is a given but the reason for that bias is the constantly high level of performance he continually produces. The orchestral playing is always of the highest order, the Monteverdi Choir is second to none and the interpretation of Bach's work always focuses on the joy of the music as demonstrated in the dance like rythms that are often accuentiated.

Should I go on.....
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:There is a large box set of Bach's sacred music for sale in Tower for less than €60. It contains about 22 CDs and has sacred music from Gardiner's older recordings with DG & Decca.
For example,
Easter Oratorio, BWV 249
Magnificat in D, BWV 243
Mass in B minor, BWV 232
St John Passion, BWV 245

Seán, the ones that I have highlighted are the ones that I own along with many of the Cantatas in the set.

In relation to the music one either likes it or one doesn't....only you can decide that, obviously.

In relation to the performances I can assure you that you will find them hard to beat. My bias towards Gardiner is well known so that is a given but the reason for that bias is the constantly high level of performance he continually produces. The orchestral playing is always of the highest order, the Monteverdi Choir is second to none and the interpretation of Bach's work always focuses on the joy of the music as demonstrated in the dance like rythms that are often accuentiated.

Should I go on.....
I should have bought it when I was in there today....AAAAAAARGH!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán, I should point out that that set can be had from MDT for £30.00 which with p+p and conversion should give you some change from only €40.00 which is considerably less than the price in Tower.

Just one personal sour note and gripe that I have in relation to this set is that DG originally ran with Gardiner on the Cantata Pilgrimage and then suddenly pulled the plug on him. Gardiner ultimately financed and set up his own label, SDG, and finished the series himself....which are the ones that I often post. I just find it interesting that they are now remarketing those 12 Cantata CDs as part of this set....a major missed opportunity methinks!!
Rant over!!!
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Seán, I should point out that that set can be had from MDT for £30.00 which with p+p and conversion should give you some change from only €40.00 which is considerably less than the price in Tower.
Thanks Fergus, I didn't realise that it is available on MDT. I appreciate that, you have saved me a lot of money, good man.
Just one personal sour note and gripe that I have in relation to this set is that DG originally ran with Gardiner on the Cantata Pilgrimage and then suddenly pulled the plug on him. Gardiner ultimately financed and set up his own label, SDG, and finished the series himself....which are the ones that I often post. I just find it interesting that they are now remarketing those 12 Cantata CDs as part of this set....a major missed opportunity methinks!!
Rant over!!!
Well Mr Gardiner has risen in my estimation of him for doing that.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

I have the S. John and S. Matthew Passions from that set and, while neither is my favourite record of the work they are both very good. OTOH I never liked JEG's cantatas from that period: I do admire the Cantata Pilgrimage series (which as Fergus points out, started under DG Archiv) but not the earlier studio performances: I find them somehow heavy and overbearing. Another bargain set of Bach choral works which I recommend very strongly is the Andrew Parrott set on Virgin:

which is a mere €16.31 on MDT. It includes a very very fine B Minor Mass and very good S. John Passion (I listened to it with great pleasure yesterday, Good Friday), Easter Oratorio and Ascension Oratorio, sadly no Matthew Passion: I don't think Parrott has recorded it.

BTW I do look in often, but haven't had mush time to post lately.