iPhone Blues

JAW

iPhone Blues

Post by JAW »

Any ideas on this? I've been using an iTouch synced to a laptop and have had no trouble loading cd's from my collection onto iTunes on the laptop and then syncing that with the iTouch to load the cd's onto the iTouch.
However, I got an iPhone, which I synced to a different laptop. I downloaded a number of cd's to iTunes on this laptop, but when the iPhone syncs it syncs everything except the cd's.
Am I doing something stupid here (very likely, on recent performance), or am I only able to download music from the iTunes site onto the iPhone? Please remember that you're dealing with somebody who gets worried if he mislays the handle to wind up the gramophone!
jaybee

Re: iPhone Blues

Post by jaybee »

JAW wrote:Any ideas on this? I've been using an iTouch synced to a laptop and have had no trouble loading cd's from my collection onto iTunes on the laptop and then syncing that with the iTouch to load the cd's onto the iTouch.
However, I got an iPhone, which I synced to a different laptop. I downloaded a number of cd's to iTunes on this laptop, but when the iPhone syncs it syncs everything except the cd's.
Am I doing something stupid here (very likely, on recent performance), or am I only able to download music from the iTunes site onto the iPhone? Please remember that you're dealing with somebody who gets worried if he mislays the handle to wind up the gramophone!

I'm not certain, but I think....

If you have permission to use the tracks downloaded from itunes store (by supplying a password for the account they were purchased from-- you can use drm itunes store files on 5 different libraries), then you can add them to your iphone, but if you want to use non itunes-store music from teh "ipod touch" laptop, then you have to associate the iphone with that particular library...

It sounds like you are trying to sync your iphone to two libraries at once.. which it can't do (without some serious hacking)
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
JAW

Post by JAW »

jaybee wrote:
JAW wrote:Any ideas on this? I've been using an iTouch synced to a laptop and have had no trouble loading cd's from my collection onto iTunes on the laptop and then syncing that with the iTouch to load the cd's onto the iTouch.

I'm not certain, but I think....

If you have permission to use the tracks downloaded from itunes store (by supplying a password for the account they were purchased from-- you can use drm itunes store files on 5 different libraries), then you can add them to your iphone, but if you want to use non itunes-store music from teh "ipod touch" laptop, then you have to associate the iphone with that particular library...

It sounds like you are trying to sync your iphone to two libraries at once.. which it can't do (without some serious hacking)
Sorry, I didn't explain it properly. The iTouch and the iPhone are synced to different computers. It seems that the iPhone isn't identifying that there is music on iTunes. If I have time tonight I'll to download a podcast or two, (I refuse to buy stuff from iTunes, I far prefer the tactile ownership of a cd or album)!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Just an aside, but I always sync manually rather than automatically, and it's easy to copy and paste stuff from iTunes onto the iPod or whatever. You could try that, cos at least if it doesn't work it might generate an error message with a reason?

I've never bought anything on iTunes, and don't intend to any time soon.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
JAW

Post by JAW »

Diapason wrote:Just an aside, but I always sync manually rather than automatically, and it's easy to copy and paste stuff from iTunes onto the iPod or whatever. You could try that, cos at least if it doesn't work it might generate an error message with a reason?

I've never bought anything on iTunes, and don't intend to any time soon.
Thanks for that, it worked a treat! Still not buying anything from iTunes, though! BTW, has anybody tried Shazam in the Apps? Very impressed with it. It listens to about twenty seconds of music, then identifies it, the album, band biography, etc. My new game is to try and find songs it can't identify, but it's damn good. It got Heaven Heath from Swaddling Songs by Mellow Candle no problem.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

don't have any apple gear, but shazam works on my android phone. Its bloody amazing!! We threw a lot of weird stuff at it one night and it got it nearly every time. The only thing it fell down on was very sparse folky kind of stuff. But you wouldn't believe the obscure stuff it was picking out perfectly!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

Glad you got the problem sorted J! I only ever use the manual option too because then you have much more control over the pod...