Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by Fran »

I bought my tickets to see Joan Armatrading last night, so tonights listening.... and I believe shes on Graham Norton tomorrow night.

Do or do not, there is no try
mcq

Post by mcq »

Fran wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:20 pm Giving this another listen after a recommendation from Ivor. Very refined...

An excellent album.  I heard it as part of the career-spanning  "Natalie Merchant Collection" box which came out a a couple of years ago and it is one of the CDs on that set that I return to most often.  The stripped-down, more organic feel is a significant improvement on the original, somewhat glossy production which bloated the songs in a rather mannered and precious way.  The strength of the songs always shone through but I had a nagging feeling that they were hampered by the production.  Perhaps my favourite performance is the heartfelt Seven Years. I'm a big fan of artists returning to their work in this way.  Another very rewarding series of recordings in a similar vein was Suzanne Vega's Close Up series.

Another highlight of that box is the wonderful House Carpenter's Daughter which I always had trouble tracking down before I bought the box.  And an essential inclusion on that box was Merchant's beautiful cover of Katell Keineg's quite magnificent song, Gulf of Araby.  
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Fran wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:19 pm I bought my tickets to see Joan Armatrading last night, so tonights listening.... and I believe shes on Graham Norton tomorrow night.

Big fan of 1970s Joan Armatrading albums.
mcq

Post by mcq »

A wonderful album and a special band.

There is a magical charm about this songs  -  disarmingly whimsical on the surface but these subtly allusive flights of fantasy carry heavy inner emotional cargo that gradually burrow their way into the mind of the listener over time.  There is a breathless spontaneity at work here that makes me think of Pentangle in the way the songs develop from very simple raw materials with an innate lyrical and rhythmic malleability that gradually coheres into something of immeasurable charm and gentle wisdom.  That charm extends to the lead singer and lyricist, Kate Stables, a woman clearly intoxicated with a love of her work and who communicates this freely and easily with a broad smile of giddy abandon.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

An unsual band with an... unsual record cover :D
LimpWrist.jpg
LimpWrist.jpg (172.41 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Tubes & Vinyls are making life brighter..
beatsbooster

Post by beatsbooster »

Hello! i came up with DEAD CROSS the other day ( Heavy stuff) but it seems that everything that mike patton puts out is damn good, i've always been fan of Faith no more and Mr bungle and recently a BIG BIG fan of Mondo cane... great album also i would love to see that show live.

What do you guys think?
tweber

Post by tweber »

Got a call from my local record shop yesterday to see if I was interested in this from 2015 RSD, resurfaced randomly. Needless to say I bought it...haven't listened to it just yet but on tonights list.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

If you want to see the woofers of your loudspeakers pump air, buy Audioslave's first LP, here is a track from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVXIK1xCRpY

TURN THE VOLUME UP! Careful though, the snare drum might just blow them out!
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:06 pm Image
Got a call from my local record shop yesterday to see if I was interested in this from 2015 RSD, resurfaced randomly. Needless to say I bought it...haven't listened to it just yet but on tonights list.
Nice! BTW have you listened to Rory's RSD French Connection Lp yet?
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:32 pm
tweber wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:06 pm Image
Nice! BTW have you listened to Rory's RSD French Connection Lp yet?
Hi Dermot, it's vintage Rory and sounds really good to my ears anyway. The Irish Tour EP was unexpected and also relatively expensive. It was on the expanded cd set from a few years ago but only on vinyl for RSD '15.
Still haven't had a chance to listen to the Allmans set yet :-(